Looking for cheap work truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here you'd be lucky if it starts for $1,000. For that price you're looking at a beat, 2wd, manual everything, bald tire beater. Doesn't really matter make/model.

A running truck under $1000? Taz, that is like the Unicorn or Bigfoot. I have heard about them but have never seen one. Nobody I know has ever seen one either. This may seem odd, but, may I suggest an old Dodge Caravan with the seats removed? My Dad had rentals for years and did his own maintenance. He hauled everything in that old van. He had 300,000 miles on an 87 Caravan when he quit driving due to health problems. Dad swore by two things: Dodge Caravans and Amsoil oil and filters.

Would a van suit your needs?
I bought a twenty year old E350 with only 70K miles at auction for $900.00.
Rusty for sure but all there and running and driving fine.

The answer is "get lucky". The only thing a grand will buy at a fair price, that isn't falling apart, is a 15+ year old mid-size sedan with over 150,000 miles.

Find a solid '67-72 Chevy truck. If you're gonna have something that you have to work on all the time, it'll at least be cheap and simple to do so.

fdcg27's suggestion of an old Econoline isn't a bad one, either. They're pretty tough and can be had for roughly that price range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: taztheman
Any ideas/suggestions where to look for a cheap truck (under 1000) that runs and drives.

I'm trolling here, it's self-evident- when /i/ sayy I would love to get into a Ridgeline.

I paid $1,500 for my 1995 F150 4.9 manual trans 2wd. It immediately needed brakes and tires, shocks, radiator, coolant and some brake fluid. Then it needed two new fuel pumps and an ignition control module.

Originally Posted By: taztheman
Any ideas/suggestions where to look for a cheap truck (under 1000) that runs and drives.

Do you mean where, like Craigslist, Autotrader, Pennysaver, etc., or where as in 100, 500, 1000 miles from your location?

Best bets probably CL and your local trader sheets but you'll have to jump. Good luck.

A public auction is a good idea if you know what you're looking at. Any copart.com auctions close to you?

Originally Posted By: Alex_V

Find a solid '67-72 Chevy truck. If you're gonna have something that you have to work on all the time, it'll at least be cheap and simple to do so.

Those haven't been cheap for awhile now, At least around here. I sold a "no option" 1969 C20 Chevy truck that didn't run, Floors & Rockers rusted out & didn't have a title for $2500 6 months ago....They were happy to have it.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Alex_V

Those haven't been cheap for awhile now, At least around here. I sold a "no option" 1969 C20 Chevy truck that didn't run, Floors & Rockers rusted out & didn't have a title for $2500 6 months ago....They were happy to have it.

I know they're climbing, but the occasional forlorn old farm truck comes up for less than that.

I'm an NC resident, and the way people here value pickup trucks, $1,000 will not buy you anything that resembles a safe and reliable truck. That is unless you get extremely lucky. Private party sale is the only way to go.

Houston!

Florida!

$1000 for a truck here means it drives but has a serious problem lurking. My father in laws 2000 F150 400k went for $900 and the frame was rotten and it was revealed.

Come up to new england and buy a 2WD approximately... now!

My 95 F150 300-6 2WD 5 speed was $600 5 years ago. Not rusted to bits either.

Missing the front fuel tank
AC is dead and half ripped out
Axle pinion bearing has slop so it eats seals
All it needed when I bought it was an idler pulley bearing which I knocked in with a hammer and some sockets for $3 in parts.
All it's needed since then was a starter and a spring kit for the rear brakes.

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-ford-f150/6392960775.html

You could spend $5,000.00 and get a junk truck these days. As mentioned-resale is insane on trucks right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back