yamaha ring free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know any data on ring-free by Yamaha I suspect just another cleaner with an expensive price tag like everything else they make.

I run it every other tank in my Yamaha 4strokes. It reduces carbon buildup. I'm not usually a snake oil guy . . .

Originally Posted By: gotnogunk
Does anyone know any data on ring-free by Yamaha I suspect just another cleaner with an expensive price tag like everything else they make.
If I remember correctly, It is a Chevron/Orinite product designed to keep internals clean. It has been known to carbon foul spark plugs as a testament to it's ability to remove carbon. It's a good product!

Been awhile since i seen the article but i think the Navy uses it in their outboards and gets 5000+ hours due to it..

Many moons ago when I sold Yamaha outboards (two stroke only back then) Ringfree was crammed down the throats of both salespeople and technicians as a MUST USE item. As I recall it was manufactured for them by Chevron back then....said it right on the bottle.

Thanks ALL , if it is techron it must be super concentrated. I just hate to pay 200% more for the same product.

Ring free treats 10 gallons per ounce.
Ring free shock treatment is 5 gallons per ounce.
Techron treats 1 gallon with 1 ounce.
Ring free is much cheaper if using often.
I use it every tank with star-tron.
Star-tron concentrated treats 16 gallons per ounce.
I am at 800 hours on my outboard today.

Quote:
Good question, I used to own a 150 hp HPDI, and they recommended running it in the outboard.

In Europe Yamaha Ring Free was/is not availabe and i never used it on my 2001 twin HDPI till i blow one in 2005.
It seems that one piston ring got stuck by carbon build-up and get catched by the intake or exhaust window at 000 rpm and BANG!
The engine was completely trashed and the piston was grinded to aluminum powder .... Total loss ...
The reason for this "accident" was probably a combination of a very windy season leading to long hours driving slowly, not using Ring Free and using cheap TCW-3 oil

Using Yamaha Ring Free seems to be mandatory for Yamaha 2 stroke engines and other brand 2 stroke engines will probably benefit as well.
It is also a good habit to get the best, ashless / low ash 2 stroke oil to reduce carbon buildup.

I never use any additives in any of my cars and boats even when i store them each 6 months for another 6 months.
I use a fuel system cleaner when i dewinterize the older engines but i feel that i just waste money.

Chris

I am now really curious if this is nothing more than just Seafoam?
I know with Yamalube oil, they charge and arm and leg for it but there is nothing more special about it at all. It's made by Citgo or Nippon and if it didn't have the Yamaha logo on the outside of the bottle, it would be $8-$10 dollar a ltr oil at best and not the $21 they like to charge for it.

I have ran Seafoam for years in everything I own and haven't had a lick of trouble with any of them. Snowmobiles, boats, lawn mowers, snow blowers and of course vehicles.
It's cheap mtce imo.

Originally Posted By: irv
I know with Yamalube oil, they charge and arm and leg for it but there is nothing more special about it at all. It's made by Citgo or Nippon and if it didn't have the Yamaha logo on the outside of the bottle, it would be $8-$10 dollar a ltr oil at best and not the $21 they like to charge for it.

Retail for the best synthetic Yamalube oil is $13 per quart/liter. If anyone else knows of a Group IV synthetic oil with almost 800 ppm moly for that much, please let me know.

http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Yamalube_Fourstroke_5W_30_Oil_p/lub-05w30-fc-12.htm

Last edited:
There is a product called Ring Clean and you can get it at West Marine. Works as good and I found it on sale about 6 months ago for $16. Same mix 1 oz to ten gallons of gas. I use only REC 90 and Ring free/clean whatever is easy to find. Also using NAPA Universal Fleet 15-40 motor oil. It has a better package of ingredients than Yamalube. I have a F115 Yamaha 4 stroke 2005, lots of hours and runs good.

Originally Posted By: rokwldr
There is a product called Ring Clean and you can get it at West Marine. Works as good and I found it on sale about 6 months ago for $16. Same mix 1 oz to ten gallons of gas. I use only REC 90 and Ring free/clean whatever is easy to find. Also using NAPA Universal Fleet 15-40 motor oil. It has a better package of ingredients than Yamalube. I have a F115 Yamaha 4 stroke 2005, lots of hours and runs good.

Imagine that.
whistle.gif

Claluja, Try the Mystic web site their 10W/30 Synthetic is about 6.95 per Qt. plus shipping

It is interesting how Yamaha has decided to go so big on the moly. What do they know?

Imagine the moly is what makes it so expensive in part. Moly is not supposed to be cheap.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
It is interesting how Yamaha has decided to go so big on the moly. What do they know?

Imagine the moly is what makes it so expensive in part. Moly is not supposed to be cheap.

Not sure. But from some research seems like Yamaha does not like too much P in their outboards, and high Mo is popular in Japan (Nippon Oil makes Yamalube). Yamaha says that too much P damages their oxygen sensors and emissions equip. So thinking that to keep a robust add pack, but avoid too much P (and Zn since they go in together), they jack up the Mo. Just speculation on my part. All Yamalube syn samples I've had analyzed have had between 700 and 800 ppm Mo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back