"Racing" Oils for Autox/Road Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any of the autocrossers and road racers out there running either of these oils?

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/racing/dominator-10w-30-racing-oil/

https://www.redlineoil.com/30wt-race-oil-10w30

I know a few of you guys are running dominator with success, looks like RL's 30wt is marketed the same way - less detergents, lower OCI, high ZDDP. Curious if these are appropriate for my car (strictly autox, few street miles, 1-2 HPDEs, ~3k mi per OCI). Sounds like it, and I'm not a big long run change OCI guy on my race cars, I save that for my dailies.

I run Dominator 10w-30 in my circle track Honda Prelude. H22 engine with 213 WHP. This is full blown race car though, not even close to street legal. Gets ran HARD (8500+ RPM laps at a time). Very short OCIs though, 4-5 races which is only a few hours on the engine. Performs great though. Managed to overheat the engine bad enough that i lost compression and had to tear completely down, and all the (at the time) stock bearings looked mint.

interesting - mine is way more street car, per what I detailed above.

I guess what should be done is a UOA with TBN, at my usage of 3k miles and autox/hpde etc., and see how much is left and use that to judge if it is more appropriate for "hard run" race but still street cars.

unless anyone else on BITOG has this info already?

Of note, RL mentions engine cooling directly, though I'm sure if you had a failure bad enough no oil would be the difference in preventing that

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kyoo
Are any of the autocrossers and road racers out there running either of these oils?

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/racing/dominator-10w-30-racing-oil/

I know a few of you guys are running dominator with success, looks like RL's 30wt is marketed the same way - less detergents, lower OCI, high ZDDP. Curious if these are appropriate for my car (strictly autox, few street miles, 1-2 HPDEs, ~3k mi per OCI). Sounds like it, and I'm not a big long run change OCI guy on my race cars, I save that for my dailies.

I not only Autox'd my Evo's of the past but went to tracks all over California.

I ran Redline 5w30 in my Evo 9 MR running at 26lbs of boost WOT making 340whp on 91 pump, stock internals (minus cams). I ran it like this for 5 yrs. NO ISSUES. I did find that using Redline vs M1 on track dropped my oil temps 20c according to the mechanical gauge I had in the car.

I am a Redline fan after seeing the type of heat my Evo's saw. Not only pushing higher than stock boost, but tracking in 100F+ heat. There were sessions that the Turbo was glowing red, and having UOA's done my reports always came back very good.

My Vote on Redline. Though I used 5w30. Some of my Evo's UOA's may be on this site somewhere if you look haha.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

I ran Redline 5w30 in my Evo 9 MR running at 26lbs of boost WOT making 340whp on 91 pump, stock internals (minus cams). I ran it like this for 5 yrs. NO ISSUES. I did find that using Redline vs M1 on track dropped my oil temps 20c according to the mechanical gauge I had in the car.

I am a Redline fan after seeing the type of heat my Evo's saw. Not only pushing higher than stock boost, but tracking in 100F+ heat. There were sessions that the Turbo was glowing red, and having UOA's done my reports always came back very good.

My Vote on Redline. Though I used 5w30. Some of my Evo's UOA's may be on this site somewhere if you look haha.

Jeff

Jeff - good to know re: temps. have you ever considered the racing oils? dominator and/or redline 30wt?

curious if you've noted any oil consumption with that usage as well.

If you still have a cat, maybe try a 0w-40 full synthetic street oil? No experience, but heard they do really will in performance applications.

"high flow" 200 cel cat
smile.gif

I do a fair amount of track work. In my Miata, I ran Mobil 1 0W-40. In my S2000, I used to run the same, now I run Red Line 10W-30. In my NSX, I run Red Line 10W-30. And in my SC400 I also run Red Line 10W-30.

I know folks that run everything... AMSOIL, Castrol, Mobil 1, Red Line, etc etc. I don't know if I've ever seen a motor that blew up due to the oil being run.

No racing oil is meant to be ran out to 3k miles. They have very little TBN to combat acidic byproducts. I run Redline 30wt and from talking with Dave, their lead chemist, he recommends not running longer than 8-10 hours or 3 months.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I do a fair amount of track work. In my Miata, I ran Mobil 1 0W-40. In my S2000, I used to run the same, now I run Red Line 10W-30. In my NSX, I run Red Line 10W-30. And in my SC400 I also run Red Line 10W-30.

I know folks that run everything... AMSOIL, Castrol, Mobil 1, Red Line, etc etc. I don't know if I've ever seen a motor that blew up due to the oil being run.

I haven’t seen any engines blown due to the brand of oil they ran, but I have seen several H and B series engines that ate a cam lobe or 2 due to running today’s emission oil. But that only applies to the solid valvetrain Honda engines.

I have a 05 STI which is mostly a street car. I sometimes do autocross and drag racing events. I use Motul 300V 5w40 and have stable oil pressure at high oil temps(100-110C) whether its from long highway pulls or aggressive mid to high rpm autocross cornering.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
No racing oil is meant to be ran out to 3k miles. They have very little TBN to combat acidic byproducts. I run Redline 30wt and from talking with Dave, their lead chemist, he recommends not running longer than 8-10 hours or 3 months.

ahh ok. acidic byproducts then, happen regardless of usage (highway/light miles). so there will be buildup and these oils don't have the TBN to combat that buildup. acidic buildup then leads to corrosion. straightforward enough, i suppose. guess you can't have the best of both worlds.

aside from very high zddp, i was hoping to find oils that combat aeration as well.

may still do a 3mo uoa of this, 3mo uoa of dominator, and see what comes up.

I've had good luck running M1 0W-40 in the M42 of my Club Sport; it was my track rat from 1996-2012. Now at 145k it is still running great. The N55 gets BMW(Shell) 0w-30 and has survived quite well so far. If i did more track days I might try something else.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Jeff - good to know re: temps. have you ever considered the racing oils? dominator and/or redline 30wt?

curious if you've noted any oil consumption with that usage as well.

No I never used the full blown Race oils and this is why:

1. My cars I tracked were also daily driven. Race Oil in a DD car? Not a good idea, and too expensive to switch out all the time.

2. Redline 5w30 Did it all. Took all I could throw at this oil in the CRAZIEST of conditions. I mean, You folks have NO IDEA haha. When I took the valve cover off to upgrade my cams the head was so clean I could eat off it. When we took my Turbo off to check for wear? The Journals looked frickin new no black marks, nothing loose, I mean looked BRAND NEW.

I dont have pics of the Turbo apart, that was done at night and was kinda a fluke thing we did on the fly, but the cam job I do have pics just on another PC I will see about posting so you can see.

All in all? The 5w30 street oil is all I needed.

Jeff

ok I found this, hope it helps.

Evo 9 MR head with about 50k miles on it (I bought it new) Redline 5w30 in it the past 30k miles.
[img:left]
Em0b4wdl.jpg
[/img]

Here is an Oil Report from My Evo with Redline 5w30. This was tracked and Daily Driven.
Hsotlt9.jpg
[/img]

That blackstone report is for a VOA of the Redline 5w30 I am trying to track down the UOA's, Mind you I sold this car in 2012 so I have to search for the reports.

Jeff

Last edited:
images seem to be down. I've had fine results with RL 5w30 as well.

Part of the reason I was thinking about it was due to oil aeration, which severely hurts our cause as far as oil starvation goes. Did you run a wet sump or anything back then?

images seem to be down. I've had fine results with RL 5w30 as well.

Part of the reason I was thinking about it was due to oil aeration, which severely hurts our cause as far as oil starvation goes. Did you run a wet sump or anything back then?

No I did not. I bought my 9 MR new had it for 5 yrs and about 70k miles. Tracked it almost every day off, if not every other day off. I began tuning it after I owned it for 2 weeks. Was the best car I have ever owned.

I was going to put a Windage tray on the oil pan, but I never had oil starvation problems. I am sure if the G load is high enough it could happen.

Only issues I had with the Evo was towards the end of my time with it, 2nd and 4th gear were going. The 6 spd is not very strong. One reason why I sold it. It needed a paint job, needed a rebuilt transmission, and 340whp (385 on E85 stock torbo) was feeling slow. I realized I was going faster and faster not just on the track but EVERYWHERE I drove. If I would not have sold the car? I probably would have ended up crashing at some point. Sadly I must admit that.

I did have a built Transfer Case, and took very good care of the car. I believe the use of good fluids and changing them very often kept that 4G63 alive and well for the 5 yrs I had it.

Good Times.
r0dHXLpl.jpg
[/img]
LYelXDrl.jpg
[/img]

Jeff

ahh interesting - yea i think we've chatted about it before. i've got the kiggly hla, tomei windage tray and scraper, and the buschur (small baffle built in) pan. been thinking about getting a racefab pan, but had been thinking a little about oil aeration

I've also got the 6 speed built by jon@tre - he's got some special tricks to help oiling, has shot peened the gears etc

the t-case still stock though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back