How Illinois addresses what they can't pay to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are pictures from underneath a 6 lane interstate overpass, that passes over 18 sets of train tracks and a two lane road, here in Illinois. You can clearly see the concrete support in the background with a vertical crack/separation right through it, top to bottom.

I can't help but think that this is one end result of an Illinois Department of Transportation policy to apply salt or salt brine onto anything that might remotely get slick for 6 months out of the year, from October through April. They will even apply brine to address the threat of frost. And if it rains, they re-apply.

And yes, IDOT has assured the public that this is all safe, that there's nothing to worry about, and nothing to see here... move along please. They'll fix it once it finally gets bad enough, and once they can afford to.

Just remember these pictures as you pass through Illinois, you've been warned.
smile.gif

Looks like temporary bracing while they fix the concrete supports. See the new concrete supports in the background of this picture. You can tell the concrete is new since there's no graffiti on it yet.

Some engineer did a stress analysis on this, and signed off on it, with other engineers checking the calculations.
Still it should be temporary as they put new re-bars and concrete into replacing the original concrete support.

If this scares you, don't drive in the Montreal highway system. That place makes me very nervous as I drive under overpasses that are raining debris on the roads below.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
If this scares you, don't drive in the Montreal highway system. That place makes me very nervous as I drive under overpasses that are raining debris on the roads below.
eek.gif

I'd be more concerned about some of the drivers in that area.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
eek.gif

Yes, Montreal is a disaster.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Looks like temporary bracing while they fix the concrete supports. See the new concrete supports in the background of this picture. You can tell the concrete is new since there's no graffiti on it yet.

Really ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'm sure a soda tax will raise the necessary money.
smirk.gif

LOL. That was the tax that even Cook County thought was too much. Repealed and back to normal tax burden beginning tomorrow.

Come to think of it, is it actually cheaper and more reliable if we just replace poured concrete structure like those with all factory build jack? You can swap them out as they age and it will be much less labor involved, and probably more durable too.

Pretty sad this is going on in what is supposed to be the super power of the world. This just proves that government is no longer serving its citizens best interests and only there to line their pockets. This is disgraceful and whoever approved this should be in jail. PERIOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back