“Toughest” 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently own a 2017 Silverado with the 5.3. Specs for 0W-20. I tow my racecar frequently in 90•+ heat, as well as plenty of WOT pulls (gotta clear out the carbon on these DI engines). Have been using M1 AFE for a few fills, and now running PP. Only run ~5K OCIs, and plan to do that the life of the vehicle. Are there in better 0W-20s readily available on the market when it comes to wear protection while still meeting Dexos 1?

M1 EP 0w-20 is probably the most robust with the least amount of VII's in it due to the large portion of it being PAO.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I like QSUD 0W20.

+1, one of my favorites! You beat me to the recommendation.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I just looked at Amsoil SS, Redline, and Motul … did not find Dexos …

Yeah Amsoil 0W-20 looks nice via their spec sheet. 8.8% NOACK if I recall. Low for a 0W-20

But the HTHS is not higher than M1 EP and it does fine on LSP testing …

You might accidentally spill some 5w30 in that motor one day.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bxnanaz
Currently own a 2017 Silverado with the 5.3. Specs for 0W-20. I tow my racecar frequently in 90•+ heat, as well as plenty of WOT pulls (gotta clear out the carbon on these DI engines). Have been using M1 AFE for a few fills, and now running PP. Only run ~5K OCIs, and plan to do that the life of the vehicle. Are there in better 0W-20s readily available on the market when it comes to wear protection while still meeting Dexos 1?

That is a nice enough vehicle that I'd just get the best. Similar to OVERKILL's recommendation, but go with Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20 instead of their "extended protection" older product.
That is Mobil's best and latest attempt at tech advancement in additive chemistry and base oil composition. Costs a little more. Worth it in nice vehicles under stress.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

That is a nice enough vehicle that I'd just get the best. Similar to OVERKILL's recommendation, but go with Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20 instead of their "extended protection" older product.
That is Mobil's best and latest attempt at tech advancement in additive chemistry and base oil composition. Costs a little more. Worth it in nice vehicles under stress.

Both show as having the same range of PAO in them (60-70%), so I'd wager they aren't really much different from each other. If he's not running super extended drains and can get EP cheaper, I can't see AP being enough of a step-up to warrant spending more.

Now of course if they are both the same price, AP is the obvious choice.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP 0w-20 is probably the most robust with the least amount of VII's in it due to the large portion of it being PAO.

I’ll definitely give EP a look. I’ve always considered EP as a “light duty” oil since it was marketed for long OCIs, which most owners really working their engines aren’t looking for. No real reasoning behind it, just how my thought process works.

Mobil1 Annual Protection also has the latest anti-oxidants in it. That should keep oxidation down under high stress. I think that's really the secret weapon in Annual Protection. They could be using more esters in the base oil, but unknown.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

You might accidentally spill some 5w30 in that motor one day.
wink.gif

Yes, especially when towing in high heat.
Do your engine a favor - take the .01MPG fuel economy hit and focus on protecting it better instead.

I’ve always considered EP as a “light duty” oil since it was marketed for long OCIs, which most owners really working their engines aren’t looking for. No real reasoning behind it, just how my thought process works.

I'd say your thought process is pretty darn skewed.

I have the memory of M1 oils have much elevated iron level from enough UOAs posted here. Don't remember there ever was a good enough explanation from Mobil. I am using PP 0w20 for my Mazdas and TGMO for the Camry currently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: windeye
I have the memory of M1 oils have much elevated iron level from enough UOAs posted here. Don't remember there ever was a good enough explanation from Mobil. I am using PP 0w20 for my Mazdas and TGMO for the Camry currently.

The answer was that you couldn't compare minor PPM variances in UOA's to determine which oil is "better", as was covered by Doug Hillary. UOA's are meant to give an insight into lubricant and equipment health, as well as to whether the lubricant remains serviceable, not as a divining rod for determining the "ultimate oil". There are numerous oils whose use shows certain higher levels of metals, such as Redline. Chelation is one cause that has been discussed.

I’ll definitely give EP a look. I’ve always considered EP as a “light duty” oil since it was marketed for long OCIs, which most owners really working their engines aren’t looking for. No real reasoning behind it, just how my thought process works.

How does "really working" an engine affect the specific claims of M1 EP?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

How does "really working" an engine affect the specific claims of M1 EP?

It doesn’t. Like I said, no real reasoning, and I by no means trash talked the oil or anything. Was just mainly giving the reasoning I haven’t used EP in my truck yet.

That’s why I joined the site, to learn. I didnt join to share my expertise (which I don’t have)

You should not overlook M1 AFE 0W-20. I was not impressed with M1 EP as I was with M1 AFE when towing in my 2010 FX4. The AFE easily lasted as long as the EP and it was cheaper.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
You should not overlook M1 AFE 0W-20. I was not impressed with M1 EP as I was with M1 AFE when towing in my 2010 FX4. The AFE easily lasted as long as the EP and it was cheaper.

I was by no means unimpressed with AFE. I will say that PP is noticeably quieter at idle, which is weird considering it’s slightly thinner via their spec sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back