Oil and Oil Filter Recommendation Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all, I have decided to start changing my own oil in my car I just got gifted from a family member. Previously has all just been taken to Jiffy Lube or something I believe. Car is a 2004 Toyota Highlander 4 Cylinder with 181k miles. Still appears to be in pretty good condition. The place near me with the cheapest prices appears to be Walmart and I am just looking for advice on what to get to do this. Watched some youtube videos and I think I can do the actual job without a hitch, just want to make sure I get the right stuff. Most of my trips are really short, under 10min to and from school or work, and I merge directly onto a highway coming out of my apartment. What would be a good oil and filter combo for my car? Walmart has seemingly every oil, conventional, blend, synthetic, high mileage etc. and they have Supertech, Fram, and Mobil 1 oil filters. Trying to save some money by doing this so lower prices where possible would be nice but I do want to get good products to help my car last. Appreciate the help, thank y'all.

High mileage on that, so I'd go with walmart's Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5w30. Keeps those older seals flexible and not brittle.
Fram Ultra oil filter at walmart is the best. It filters the best, has great construction, lasts up to 20,000 miles which is exceptional. Not too high priced either.

I presume it's seen dino oil all of it's life, so @181k I'd be hesitant to switch over to a syn. Why? Because the added detergency and uniform molecular shape could slip past worn areas and expose leaks.

I'd personally try MaxLife blend and an extended drain filter, like Fram Ultra or Mobil 1. What OCI does the manual recommend?

Maxlife Red bottle 5w30 would be my first pick. One of the best HM oils out there. Stick to 5k intervals. Is the vehicle all wheel drive or front wheel drive only? Hopefully just FWD. A drain and fill for the trans would be nice.

Thank you for that explanation! Makes sense. Manual has it at 5000 miles between oil changes.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
High mileage on that, so I'd go with walmart's Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5w30. Keeps those older seals flexible and not brittle.
Fram Ultra oil filter at walmart is the best. It filters the best, has great construction, lasts up to 20,000 miles which is exceptional. Not too high priced either.

No need for a HM oil to keep seals conditioned. All oils have a conditioner, synthetic oil has more.

What you may be confused about is HM oil has additives for swelling seals. No need for them unless you have a leak. Fix all leaks

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I presume it's seen dino oil all of it's life, so @181k I'd be hesitant to switch over to a syn. Why? Because the added detergency and uniform molecular shape could slip past worn areas and expose leaks.

The fact that they may be more uniform really has nothing to do with it, considering the average size of a typical oil molecule.

What oil has been used for the last 181k? I don't see how you can go wrong keeping the "same" oil. I wouldn't use a HM oil if the Highlander has been maintained and it isn't leaking any oil.

I'd keep it simple and buy some Toyota Oil Filters. They are cheap. Hard to beat IMHO
grin.gif

That's a nice gift especially if it's well kept. Walmart has Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 for $15.97 per 5 quart jug. I'd go with that and a Fram Ultra filter that you COULD use for three 5K oil changes. That would be a nice savings in money and time.

I do not know the exact oil, it was previously owned by my father and he just took it to Jiffy Lube. Thank you so much for the help!

Originally Posted By: AnonOIl
Hey y'all, I have decided to start changing my own oil in my car

Forgetting any oil issues....

CONGRATULATIONS for deciding to do your own oil changes!

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back