Do I have a bad control arm bushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My van has had an issue that I can't figure out. First of all, it has an intermittent vibration at highway speeds. The tires have been rotated and balanced multiple times. The vibration comes on around 75 mph; sometimes though, it doesn't appear for a few weeks, then comes back. Second, I have been getting a pulling feel in the steering wheel when I make small adjustments at speed. Third, when taking off, and sometimes when the car is coasting down, I feel a big clunk. If I'm turning right into a parking lot, and there is a curb or a little incline, the whole driver's side front end feels and sounds like it's going to fall apart. Sway bar links and axles are all verified in good condition so it's not those. Van does have the original control arms though.

Sounds like the ball joint. Shocks could be bad, too. I just replaced both on my truck. There was a recall on Sedona control arms, but I don’t know if yours qualifies. My wife had an ‘06 and got new ones free.

Last edited:
Get your van to a reputable front-end shop pronto, and have them give the suspension a good shakedown for worn bits. You don't want to find out "oh, yeah, that must've been a ball joint" at 80mph on I-696.

Sounds like a ball joint or tie rod to me. My Liberty used to have a hard clunk after backing out of a parking spot, turned out to be a bad upper ball joint. My LR3 when it had bad tie rods had a slight steering wheel shimmy. Easy to check out.

For control arms, what happens when you slam on the brakes from 5-10 MPH to a stop? Any clunks? My LR3 used to do that before getting new control arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back