Need input on a CPO '15 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm eyeing this 2015 Malibu LT . Their asking price is $13,865 down from $16,xxx. Has 22k miles on it. I'm thinking of offering $13,000 out the door with top offer of $13,500 out the door. What do you think my chances are of getting it for that price range? Going to test drive it tomorrow.

The 2.5L 4-cylinder in those Malibu's is not that sturdy of an engine....it's anecdoctal, but I work in a garage, and I've seen a couple of them come in for timing-chain related issues, both the 2.4 and the new 2.5.

I know GM revised the OLM to shorten OCI's, but I think these engines are going to have more and more problems as time goes on.

Well, I've seen quite a few Malis of that vintage in MI, and the 16k was real high to begin with...

I think 13k (or a little below) would be a good way to go. We have a glut of used sedans around here-and they are going nowhere near their value. Seen a few local lots going under 12k with a bit (slightly) than the one you are looking at.

I'd give it a shot!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Only if the blonde is included in the deal.

I can't imagine the maintenance needed on that item.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Chevys aren't selling well. I wouldn't go over $13000 out the door.

Noted, thanks.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The 2.5L 4-cylinder in those Malibu's is not that sturdy of an engine....it's anecdoctal, but I work in a garage, and I've seen a couple of them come in for timing-chain related issues, both the 2.4 and the new 2.5.

I know GM revised the OLM to shorten OCI's, but I think these engines are going to have more and more problems as time goes on.

That's a bit concerning. I saw a few things of concern on Car Complaints , but besides the 2017, the 2015 has the fewest complaints hence the reason I chose that years' model. Also will ask them if the 2 or 3 recalls on that model year has been addressed.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Worse they can say is no, and be prepared to walk out. They will chase you down or call you.
Good luck.
Exactly! If it's not meant to be, well, I'll save myself $13k. That's the really nice thing about not NEEDING to purchase a vehicle right away.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Well, I've seen quite a few Malis of that vintage in MI, and the 16k was real high to begin with...

I think 13k (or a little below) would be a good way to go.

I'd give it a shot!

Awesome! Notes taken! thanks.

Thank you everyone for your input. Think I will lower my "haggle range" down to $12.5k with max of $12.8k out the door with increments of $100? or should I use increments of $50? I don't exactly know how to "haggle."
21.gif

Last edited:
Update: So I went for a test drive with the wifeypoo since it will be her daily driver. Very nice vehicle. Very smooth ride, spacious and plenty of power and gadgets (Rear camera, bluetooth, oil and tire pressure monitors, etc).

Salesman, man, they are real smooth talker at first. Smooth talked right up to the wifeypoo. Gave him my offer of 13k OTD and his smile came right off his face. Tried to trap us with the how much can you afford on the monthly payment question. Told him I plan on paying it off in 7 months (he didn't like that too well, either) and that the payments isn't much of a concern, the final price was. He said he couldn't do it so I thanked him, shook his hand and got up to walk out. He wanted to keep me there to chat some more so I said, look, you can't accept my offer, there's no need to waste any more of each other's time. You have my number.

I can tell the wifeypoo was disappointed because she really liked the vehicle and didn't want to leave but we did and here I am writing you guys my experience. Both of us see it as, we saved $13k today.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I love my 2015 Malibu. Ive had it since 15 miles in june of 15. I've run full synthetic 0w20 since new and change the oil around 15-20% left on the OLM. only other thing i have done to the car is a transmission drain and fill at 25k. Car has 37k on her today running strong.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
I love my 2015 Malibu. Ive had it since 15 miles in june of 15. I've run full synthetic 0w20 since new and change the oil around 15-20% left on the OLM. only other thing i have done to the car is a transmission drain and fill at 25k. Car has 37k on her today running strong.

That's awesome! I like hearing that. Unfortunately, the vehicle is not sitting in my garage atm
frown.gif

malibu resale is low due to many issues, but the naturally aspirated 2.5 is more reliable. girlfriends 13 LS with the 2.5 is doing well at 50,xxx. it was using some 5-20 dexos I oil but mobil I 10-30 extended performance cured that!!

Originally Posted By: Danno
Worse they can say is no, and be prepared to walk out. They will chase you down or call you.
Good luck.
This. Tell them your price, if they don't agree stand up and tell them you are going to (name a competitor) who has a similar car then walk out. I did this on the last car I bought and before I could get a block away the sales manager called me on my cell phone and said "0K, we'll take your offer." They hate to see $$ walk out the door.

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
That's awesome! I like hearing that. Unfortunately, the vehicle is not sitting in my garage atm
frown.gif

How about a 2015 Ford Fusion with the 2.5 liter engine? That should be just as reliable and maybe a little more so. Here are some 2016 Fusion rentals for $13,700 or so. Throw in your trade and you should be at $13k out the door or sell privately which should net out at $13k.

Fusion Rentals

2016 Malibu LTZ with the 2.5 liter engine

2016 VW Passat with 46k miles for $10,400

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
malibu resale is low due to many issues, but the naturally aspirated 2.5 is more reliable. girlfriends 13 LS with the 2.5 is doing well at 50,xxx. it was using some 5-20 dexos I oil but mobil I 10-30 extended performance cured that!!
resale valve is low because of these yr Malibu's beeing rental vehicles. I love mine though, i can get 39mpg on the highway with the ac on.

$13K is what they should jump to... Sedan sales are way down. A lot of off-lease sedans are on the lots and a lot of 2016 and newer for less than 14K. It is ridiculous if you are shopping for a non-Camry/Accord sedan.

I guess in Michigan, they might hold onto a GM product for more $.

I've been looking on Car Gurus at the '15 Malibu and there are about 4 that's going for under 13k with mileage ranging from 19,xxx to 32,xxx, almost all of them were lease vehicles with clean "car checks." Gonna reach out to some of those dealers and see what happens. The chat here was great! Thank you all! Will update when possible.

ps: The look on the wifeypoo's face was so disheartening that I think I will purchase a'15 Malibu for her. I'm such a good hubby (I know, I toot my own horn, LOL)
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have a 2.0 Turbo, we are at 40,000 miles. No issues. We love ours. the 2.0 Turbo is a bit of a different animal then the 2.5, but it has worn well and I would get another.

FWIW I wouldn't buy a used rental car with 40K miles on it. God knows how that thing was abused. Spend a little more on the lower mileage car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back