1999 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Penzzoil Ultra Euro SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was put in back on June 4th 2017. It's done a majority of highway and long trips 250-500 miles back in summer. It's been short tripped about 2 miles every day since September with longer travels on weekends 500 miles round trip. I typically drive conservative but I'm not afraid of using the throttle for fun highway merging.

Lc20 was used according to the directions for full interval.
FP plus was used according to directions in fuel till September.

Fram ultra xg8 oil filter. Air filter changed about half way through interval.

Looks like you might have a coolant leak into the oil. (Potassium)

Also not really great numbers for that oil with that many miles. IMO. I wouldn't want to see double digits that high.

FWIW.

I wonder what would prompt this analysis company to put a caution or alert? That green check mark seems misleading

Maybe lab knows some 4.0’s shed iron. I’d say report looks very good aside from that iron count
smile.gif

That doesn't look too abnormal to me, but honestly I wouldn't run the oil that long. 4.0's do shed a lot of iron, and I'm thinking this just isn't the best oil for it.

OP: Is this a regular Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? I assume regular by the title but you never know. Reason I ask is the 0331 head that cracks started in the Grand Cherokee in 1999 and the regular Cherokee in 2000. You can tell that it is the 0331 head if you have coil pack ignition instead of a distributor.

Regardless, I don't think you have a coolant leak. I honestly think the best oil for these engines is a good 10w30 conventional. My UOA with Pennzoil 10w30 had single digit iron wear, but it was also lower miles.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Looks like you might have a coolant leak into the oil. (Potassium)FWIW.

Then I wonder why the lab said NO for coolant under the heading Contaminants.
21.gif

This is the regular Cherokee. With the distributor ignition. Im not worried if it has coolant leak. Before I learned of oil analysis you just made sure it wasn't cloudy. This drained clear.

I don't normally run oil this long either but thought I'd give it a go.

I have a bunch of 5w-40 and 0w-40 oils from last year's AutoZone clearances that I've been using. I grabbed some Rotella t5 10w-30 when it was on sale for $15 at autozone. Probably going to use that after winter. If I ever run out I'll be sure to give the penzzoil conventional a try though!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Looks like you might have a coolant leak into the oil. (Potassium)FWIW.

Then I wonder why the lab said NO for coolant under the heading Contaminants.
21.gif

Because the lab has idiot techs. It happens. Potassium in oil is not a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back