Kendall SHP Arctic Diesel 0w40 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure it is very good oil. But even in Anchorage 5W40 is more than enough. This is great oil for most of Canada and interior Alaska. Even in Alturas Calif. it doesn't get cold enough to need this. If you live in coastal Calif. use 15W40.
Actually the record low in Alturas is -34F. Is that where you live?

Charlie

Sometimes 0W-40 has higher HTHS than 5W-40 at op temp ... In such cases it's the preferred choice.

But, yeah around here (north of SF) you can run SAE 30 HD year round. Susanville - maybe not
laugh.gif

I live in Northern California, it doesn't get colder than the low 20's here and that doesn't happen very often.

I am using Delvac ESP 5w40 now but mostly interested in this Arctic 0w40 as it's CJ-4 and still made from PAO. Not many options available with these specs anymore.

The regular Kendall SHP 5w40 is reasonably priced so I was hoping I could get this stuff for close to $30/gal if it was worth it.

Having run "conventional" 15W-40 for many years in EXTREMELY cold North Dakota winters... I wouldn't be overly concerned about getting the best oil imaginable, especially if it's $30 a gallon.

Don't "disregard" normal 15W-40 oil..... it really is not an inferior oil.

I just changed my oil in my Ram 2500, using Valvoline 5w40 and gave $20 a gal at Napa. Runs great!
Also saw Delo 5w40 at 20 a Gal at Wally World. Look around or internet and you can get a good buy.

Originally Posted By: merdog
I just changed my oil in my Ram 2500, using Valvoline 5w40 and gave $20 a gal at Napa. Runs great!
Also saw Delo 5w40 at 20 a Gal at Wally World. Look around or internet and you can get a good buy.

I don't shop at walmart, and not overly concerned with finding a "good buy".

I was interested in the performance of a quality CJ-4 PAO based Xw40 synthetic. Delo and Valvoline are neither of those things.

Clearly - few, if any, here use this; no one has responded with direct experience.

The product does have a nice HTHS at 4.0, but the TBN isn't as high as some other CJ-4s. Not that TBN is a big deal, unless certain conditions apply (really long OCIs, heavy EGR, etc).

It would be helpful to understand how you intend to use the product.

I don't see any mention in the PDS of it being a "pure PAO" lube. Is that your assessment? I'm not saying you're wrong; just wondered what makes you come to that conclusion?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Clearly - few, if any, here use this; no one has responded with direct experience.

The product does have a nice HTHS at 4.0, but the TBN isn't as high as some other CJ-4s. Not that TBN is a big deal, unless certain conditions apply (really long OCIs, heavy EGR, etc).

It would be helpful to understand how you intend to use the product.

I don't see any mention in the PDS of it being a "pure PAO" lube. Is that your assessment? I'm not saying you're wrong; just wondered what makes you come to that conclusion?

If you look at the SDS, and compare the regular Kendal SHP 5w40 to the Arctic 0w40 you can tell it's pure PAO. Kendal states the SHP is a group III/IV "synthetic" while the Arctic 0w40 only has PAO listed in the SDS. That how I came to my conclusion.

I was interested in this product as the price was appealing for a pure PAO CJ-4. I don't think I could find anything with those specs for $30 a gallon.

As RR1 says, the Deere product. Also ...
Delvac 1.
Some of the Castrol commercial PAOs.
Etc.

Again - what is the intended use?

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName

If you look at the SDS, and compare the regular Kendal SHP 5w40 to the Arctic 0w40 you can tell it's pure PAO. Kendal states the SHP is a group III/IV "synthetic" while the Arctic 0w40 only has PAO listed in the SDS. That how I came to my conclusion.

I was interested in this product as the price was appealing for a pure PAO CJ-4. I don't think I could find anything with those specs for $30 a gallon.

I am sure it not "pure PAO" and you would most definitely not want a pure PAO oil base. PAOs cause seal shrinkage and are relatively poor at solubilizing contaminates and additives. So esters and Grp. III bases are added to compensate for these drawbacks. PAOs do have great temperature non-Newtonian behavior. My sources: 2 great books on my table in the living room, "Lubricant Additives" and "Lubricant Bases" about 750-950 p. long each and published by SAE I think. Not cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Lubricant-Additiv...icant+additives
https://www.amazon.com/Synthetics-Minera...lubricant+bases

Yup - I always chuckle when someone wants a "pure" oil. ALL LUBES are blends to achieve a task. PAOs are great bases, but they rely on other products (including lowly II and III) to achieve very important things (like solubility as you mentioned) to be "great".

The OP seems to be hades-bent on a PAO (that meets his preconceived desire). So be it. He's not said yet WHY he wants it; probably overcompensation for some need not well defined.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The OP seems to be hades-bent on a PAO (that meets his preconceived desire). So be it. He's not said yet WHY he wants it; probably overcompensation for some need not well defined.

Generally because they read on the Internet that it's better since it is a Group IV rather than a Group III. Group IV is one more better than Group III, right?

I personally am waiting for Group XI.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I am waiting on XXL...lol.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

But where can you go from Group XI? You can't.

Our Group goes to XI.

But where can you go from Group XI? You can't. Our Group goes to XI.
Just kidding K...it was a play on letters as in eXtra eXtra Large...in the proverbial bigger is better stance.

Just kidding K...it was a play on letters as in eXtra eXtra Large...in the proverbial bigger is better stance.

I was just kidding you too but I think you are too young for my relatively obscure reference
grin.gif

I was just kidding you too but I think you are too young for my relatively obscure reference
grin.gif

Maybe? What is that from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back