New Bosch Distance Plus D3330 damaged ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking through my stash of filters and noticed that the ADBV of this one does not look too good. This is the 3/4-16 filter similar in size to the Fram 3614. If my decoding ring works right, it was built in the Fayetteville plant on November 18, 2014, Line B, 1st shift. Too bad, since it was louver-less. Hehe.

The ADBV was either installed off center and 2 of the holes are not sealing properly, or the ADBV is just cut all the way through in those 2 holes. I did shone a flashlight through the oil exit hole and you can clearly see light shining through the 2 inlet holes, but not on the other ones. If this filter was to be used, unfiltered oil would bypass the media.

I will try to return it, but if I cannot do that I will open it up and post more photos here.
I still have a few D+ and I will be using those without any concerns. I guess this thought me to look over a filter (any brand) before buying it.

Awhile back I showed a Bosch made by Puro with a adbv installed off center, to one side. This is the same thing it looks like, not cuts. I returned two Boss filters in this size that did have the cuts, although the cuts were tightly sealed. This is one of those once in a while manufacturing glitches. We all know Fram has had their share of them. The other style of Puro filters does not have this issue, the adbv goes into the end cap hole.

Good eyes!

I had this exact situation happen once a long time ago. A Mobil 1 filter (Champion made M1-204 if i remember?) bought for my TR6 w/ spin on conversion had the ADBV offset exactly as this. I installed it as it was what I had on hand, hoping it would seal, and when left overnight, the car would take quite a few seconds longer to build pressure. I replaced the filter within a few days.

Lesson learned;I now visually check new filters and only use Mann & Hummel or Hengst on this car.

If you can't return it, call Bosch (Purolator) and see if they'll do anything about it. Unlikely, but maybe you'll get lucky-the D+ was a $12 filter when it was full (OVER) priced!

Good Catch.
I REALLY wish they would put the ADB back in the filter mounting bracket so we don't need this thing on a "two dollar" commodity item.

I'm always peeking into boxes at the store before I buy the filter. More than a couple times an employee came up and asked if I needed "help".
I said I'm a BITOG member
smile.gif

They say, what? WHO?!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Good Catch.
I REALLY wish they would put the ADB back in the filter mounting bracket so we don't need this thing on a "two dollar" commodity item.

I'm always peeking into boxes at the store before I buy the filter. More than a couple times an employee came up and asked if I needed "help".
I said I'm a BITOG member
smile.gif

They say, what? WHO?!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

If you look inside the boxes of a bunch of different filters I'm going to open the box at the counter in front of you when you are ready to make sure you didn't put a Mobil filter in a Microgard box because I'm going to assume you're trying to pull a switcheroo
wink.gif

That ADBV is supposed to get pushed away from the baseplate as the oil enters the filter. In its current state, it would not get pushed away; instead, it would become one giant catastrophic oil flow restrictor. That filter could have destroyed your engine if you had not noticed the defect and installed it on your engine.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That ADBV is supposed to get pushed away from the baseplate as the oil enters the filter. In its current state, it would not get pushed away; instead, it would become one giant catastrophic oil flow restrictor. That filter could have destroyed your engine if you had not noticed the defect and installed it on your engine.

No not really.

The rest looks fine... I seriously doubt this filter would hurt an engine.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Maybe some if left on and the engine went through many "dry starts" because the ADBV leaked and cause the supply galleries to empty every time the vehicle sat for an hour.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
No not really.

Look at the picture again. The ADBV is supposed to work like a pet's door. The door "flaps" open when the pet pushes through. As it is now, it's not a door that can be pushed open; it's a restrictive screen at best.

The last picture I posted shows exactly what the valve looks like. One side is off the base plate. There would be no adbv function and a dry start every time in certain positions. Mine was a base down so it would be bad. There still is plenty of flow area total.
Some oil flow would also go past the bare metal where the adbv seals and be unfiltered.

No restriction at all, just that the ADBV is not functional at all and some oil would bypass the media. I don't believe it would kill an engine, at least not as bad as a torn filter.

Always wise to check filters anywhere they are bought where you can get your hands on them. And check filters when received if bought on-line, and send back if somethng doesn't look right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back