Are you big into Christmas lights/decorations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when the kids were home we were. Now that they have their own families it just seems like too much work.

How about you?

The wife loves to decorate the entire inside of our house. It's like the attack of the snowmen in our living room. She also decorates around our deck out back. I like to decorate our 15 foot Blue Spruce in the front yard.

Nope. We did lights on the deck one year. Then a wreath on the door and garland up the porch rail the next year. Now we don't even have a tree up. We have no kids and not much company over so I guess we have become scrooges.

+1 on keeping the wife happy. When we first moved into our neighborhood back in '98, EVERYBODY put up house lights and was highly "suggested" that we do the same. I mean, they were literally tour buses that would drive around our neighborhood as we were close to the festival of lights in that town. Now, fast forward to today, I'd say less than half are doing it. One reason, most of the homeowners have gotten older and kids are gone, so what's the point. No more tour buses in the last couple of years.

Nope. I don't have any time to put up decorations, and they waste electricity. I don't have much "holiday spirit" either. We just have a fake tree in the living room and that's about it.

I put those projector LED lamps in our front yard that shine on the house...easy to install and they look as good as any other lights...and we put up decorations inside too...

I’ve got a lot of cactus in my front yard, so I decorate 2 of them every year. Wrap lights on them and light up candy canes. The neighbors probably think I’m nuts, so that’s part of the reason I do it.

I love keeping the neighbours guessing.
grin2.gif

I would like to be able to light things up more than I do, but the time required eludes me. I currently light up the porch pretty good and I always have a huge (real) tree in the house with lots of lights on it.

I travel all over the U.S. (mostly drive at night) and always enjoy the Christmas lights that I see, regardless of the amount on display. As someone who has always lived in a northern climate, I especially enjoy the lights when everything is covered with snow. It makes the lights even prettier.

Thanks to all of you who do put up the lights/decorations, no matter how "big" you get into it.
smile.gif

Last edited:

I have a 12 year old and a 9 year old. They love it! They will only be little once and I don't mind decorating. My parents always did too.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Well when the kids were home we were. Now that they have their own families it just seems like too much work.

How about you?

I can understand your point of view. My kids are not out of the house per say, My son is 17 and is Autistic, and my Daughter is 14. I am divorced from their Mother though so I dont have them with me everyday. In that sense I can relate to not having the kids always around.

I know decorations may just be hype, and people sell stuff and to some its just about keeping up with the "Jone's" or in this case the "Griswalds".

It depends on you. I love this time of year. People seem to be a little more friendly, smile more, and I know kids love driving by and seeing the lights and the decorations.

Maybe when you lit your house up, the neighbors enjoyed it, people driving by did, and this brought them joy to see a beautiful lit house.

You may not be a Religious person, I am not, but I do BELIEVE and I like celebrating this special time of year. Look at it this way. The work you put in makes people happy. I think in turn, that will make you happy?

I will continue to put out the decorations inside and out as long as things dont get stolen or vandalized. Its just getting too expensive these days to keep replacing stuff.

My Autistic Son LOVES the lights. HE LOVES CHRISTMAS. Even if he see's my house only once and he smiles and it makes him, my daughter, anyone that drives by smile, I then say....It was worth it.

Hope this helps you?

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I have a 12 year old and a 9 year old. They love it! They will only be little once and I don't mind decorating. My parents always did too.

Where is Rudolf, the submariner Red nose black eye-patch Pirate reindeer?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I’ve got a lot of cactus in my front yard, so I decorate 2 of them every year. Wrap lights on them and light up candy canes. The neighbors probably think I’m nuts, so that’s part of the reason I do it.

If they ask you, just tell tell is about safety:
the reindeer won't land into the cactus [censored].....

Originally Posted By: grampi
I put those projector LED lamps in our front yard that shine on the house...easy to install and they look as good as any other lights...and we put up decorations inside too...

Ahhh, yeah, no they don't. This is the epitome of "phoning it in." I'd rather my neighbors do nothing at all than just stick a projector in the ground and call it a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back