Why no M1 0W-20 Fully synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Nissan Murano w/ 18k ODO. Nissan recommends 0w-20 (5W-30 is an option) and I want to stick with Mobil 1 branded 0W-20 if possible. Based on my driving conditions, I choose to go with the M1 0w-20 in Extended Performance Oil with extending OCI to 7.5k from 5k as recommended. But that's only because M1 isn't available in the 0W-20 weight.

I've always thought 7.5k OCI on Mobil 1 Full Synthetic is a walk in the park. Why is 0W-20 Mobil 1 available in EP, AFE, and AP, and High milege formulations and not the Fully Synthetic Mobil 1 0W-20? I thought Mobil 1 being quality is not thin oil that sheers or breaks down...I need an education...what am I missing here?

M1-EP is easy work and probably overkill and uneconomical/unnecessary for going half the OCI sweet spot. But I'd like to stay with Mobil as my preferred brand based on the Group, certifications and specs and gives me comfort knowing my MDX requires the same grade and keeps it simple for me.

Hopefully, this hasn't been discussed here...apologies in advance if it has been discussed here before.

Last edited:
You're not making any sense. All 'Mobil 1' branded oils are full-synthetic oils, there are just different 'levels' to them:

Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 - they brand it as 'Advanced Fuel Effeciency'; but this oil IS 'regular' M1 0W-20.

Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 - the 15k mile Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20

Mobil 1 AP 0W-20 - the 20k mile Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20

Mobil 1 HM 0W-20 - the high-mileage Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-20

ALL of them are Mobil 1, full-syn 0W-20's.

My short OCIs make it overkill and it's almost to the cost. I get EP at $22. AFE is ~ $40. I was thinking that's a waste.

But I'm trying to understand why M1 isn't available in 0w-20 weight?

AFE is synthetic. It's just a 0w so they market its fuel savings. Pretty much all Mobil 1 is synthetic.

Is this a serious post?

I believe some UOAs on here showed 0w/20 afe did better than the EP version....which indicated afe probably has more PAO in it. Hopefully someone can remember the details better than me. For the record, I use 0w/20 afe because of those results. I want to say it was 2015_PSD who pointed that out.

Last edited:
Where do you buy it?!? WalMart & other discount stores it's like $22-28 for 5qts of EP or AFE. Either one of those should be fine.

Then if it's a waste to use them with your change intervals either a.) Extend your interval or b.) Use a syn like Super tech

Seems like you're making a problem just to make problem.

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
My short OCIs make it overkill and it's almost to the cost. I get EP at $22.

For 7,500 miles, I would just frankenblend the Mobil 1 50/50 with the cheapest 5W-20 you can find that still meets API specs. You'll still reach 200,000 miles with the vehicle easily.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You're not making any sense. All 'Mobil 1' branded oils are full-synthetic oils, there are just different 'levels' to them:

Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 - they brand it as 'Advanced Fuel Effeciency'; but this oil IS 'regular' M1 0W-20.

I am not Not making any sense? Lol Actually, I am making a Ton of sense!!! But I had a question...and you understood some of it. My point wasn't to make any sense, it was to ask a question!

Now if I understand you correctly, your saying 0w-20 AFE is the SAME exact Oil as what M1 0w-20 would be? Ok..where/how can I get this confirmed that it is just rebranded oil? AFE is more than EP where I am and if it doesn't offer me a advantage but with shorter OCI gaurentee.

Also, on Mobil's website, EP compared to AFE in the same weight is said to offer better oil breakdown prevention and do better in higher temperatures.

I know exactly what you are saying here... Where is the "Regular" Mobil 1 0w20 ??

Good question.

If I had a newer Nissan like yours my friend... Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20. It has a HTHS of 2.7 and will be outstanding for a 7500 mile run. Go with that and enjoy your 2017 Nissan
smile.gif

Last edited:
Your point is to not make any sense?
I call on the BITOG Tribe~Oligists to vote on this island matter:

Wow, this is painful. "AFE 0W20" is Mobil 1 AFE 0W20. Go back to the Mobil website, read carefully and come back if you're still confused. This is very straight forward stuff.

Originally Posted By: TheIceStormof06
Originally Posted By: addyguy

I am not Not making any sense? Lol Actually, I am making a Ton of sense!!! But I had a question...and you understood some of it. My point wasn't to make any sense, it was to ask a question!

Now if I understand you correctly, your saying 0w-20 AFE is the SAME exact Oil as what M1 0w-20 would be? Ok..where/how can I get this confirmed that it is just rebranded oil? AFE is more than EP where I am and if it doesn't offer me a advantage but with shorter OCI gaurentee.

Also, on Mobil's website, EP compared to AFE in the same weight is said to offer better oil breakdown prevention and do better in higher temperatures.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
AFE is synthetic. It's just a 0w so they market its fuel savings. Pretty much all Mobil 1 is synthetic.

Is this a serious post?

Actually, I did not know this..hence the post and my question. I don't profess to be an oil pro...like my original post said...I need an education on this. Was trying to get some understanding.

Has anyone completed an oil analysis, content comparison or have graph comparisons of 0W-20 AFE vs. 0W-20 EP? From what I can see on mobile website is the EP offers better protection from oil breakdown, higher temperature protection and the EP is Dexos 1 Gen 2 (good for DIs like my MDX???)

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I believe some UOAs on here showed 0w/20 afe did better than the EP version....which indicated afe probably has more PAO in it. Hopefully someone can remember the details better than me. For the record, I use 0w/20 afe because of those results. I want to say it was 2015_PSD who pointed that out.

Thanks. Interesting though because when you use the comparison function, the EP is rated higher than AFE in the 0W-20 weight...in terms of benefits that is.

That M1 EP you are using in 0w20 is often tracked down (on this website) for having the highest PAO percentage along with some Group III and the standard touch of Esterex Mobil adds.
Don’t worry about 15k and overkill … follow OLM computer … you have a nice ride there …
I have the exact oil in the new Tahoe ...

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I know exactly what you are saying here... Where is the "Regular" Mobil 1 0w20 ??

Good question.

If I had a newer Nissan like yours my friend... Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20. It has a HTHS of 2.7 and will be outstanding for a 7500 mile run. Go with that and enjoy your 2017 Nissan
smile.gif

THIS!!! Yes. That is exactly my question.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back