Coolant leak turning white and crusty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a coolant hose on my truck that leaks a bit and it runs down by the cylinder head area. Is it the heat that turns the coolant that into a white crusty color? Guess I need to take a tooth brush or something and brush it off. It has a stainless clamp that needs to be tightened periodically. It seemed pretty tight the last time I checked and I'm worried I'm going to crack the stand pipe that it's connected to if I tighten the clamp anymore. This goes into the cylinder head.

i just had some used coolant dribble down a hose on my Dodge in the process of flushing it and it left a white crusty stain along the whole thing. I think that's normal is all I'm saying.

That's probably the water glass formulated into the antifreeze. Many antifreezes have sodium silicate, which coats the cooling system insides to protect from corrosion.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Replace the hose along with new OEM clamps, It's leaking on the exhaust side of the cylinder head.....It gets pretty hot.

The hose has to be cut off. Don't ask me how I know.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Let me guess, you're running tap water in the coolant, correct ?

Nope I splurged and used distilled water the last time I changed the coolant.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Well, that rules out my theory of the white crusties being calcium deposits. . . .

Merk I think it's like the other guy said. Just the additives coming out from the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what is left when G-05 leaks and evaporates. Simply the deposits from the additives. When the radiator leaked on my Explorer, that's what was left behind (along with a Y-pipe leak for the rear heater).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Well, that rules out my theory of the white crusties being calcium deposits. . . .
the long life coolants leave a white stain when they leak.

I have a coolant hose on my truck that leaks a bit.... I'm worried I'm going to crack the stand pipe that it's connected to if I tighten the clamp anymore......

I see a cracked head(s) in your very-near future;
frown.gif

This - asap:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Replace the hose along with new OEM clamps...

the white-crusty residue was your 'final warning' . . .
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back