Help me choose my winter fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 mercury grand marquis w/ flex-fuel 4.6l. I just changed the oil last month (and about 3000 miles ago) with magnatec 5w20. However, E85 done went and got all cheap (now down to $1.47/gal), so I've been running it lately. I'm due to hit 5000 miles on the oil by mid-january and don't want to push it any further than that with e85 use, so I'm thinking of changing the oil early (don't feel like laying in snow or paying someone else to do it). I've got plenty of free/cheap/paid-to-buy oil on hand, so cost isnt an issue.

Here's my oil stash options on hand:
5Qts of PUP 5w20
5qts of M1 5w20
(both of these will have one bottle of QSUD 0w20 added (6qt sump))
6qts of Meijer Autoquest (Warren) synthetic 5w20
QSAD conventional 5w30 (I have a 6 gallon ecobox of this)

Filters on hand:
M1 EP M1-210A
Motorcraft FL-820S

I spent about 20 minutes last night trying to eenie-meenie-miny-mo it, but just can't decide.

FWIW, I'm done with my E-85 experiment. It runs just fine with no noticeable difference in power, but gets me a whopping 14MPG in the city and 21MPG highway vs 17.5/26 w/E10. Also, in the few tanks (about 1000 miles) I've ran it, my oil has turned considerably darker on the dipstick. I'm concerned about blow-by and fuel dilution from cold weather/driving like a jerk.

I feel with these threads, someone already has something in mind and is hoping someone bsays something they agree with to give them the green light.

Since it's winter time and MI gets pretty cold I'd go with one of the full syn oils. Probably the PUP 5w20 since that's first on your list. And so as not to spoil the car too much go with the MC filter. Nothing scientific but hey, we made a choice for you.

^^+1^^ For no reason whatsoever.

If it were me, I'd use whatever oil you've had the longest. I tend to use what little stash I accumulate like that.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I feel with these threads, someone already has something in mind and is hoping someone bsays something they agree with to give them the green light.

Yup

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Since it's winter time and MI gets pretty cold I'd go with one of the full syn oils. Probably the PUP 5w20 since that's first on your list. And so as not to spoil the car too much go with the MC filter. Nothing scientific but hey, we made a choice for you.

and what a luxury it is to not have to torture myself. Thanks!

Had no particular oil in mind except leaning toward a synthetic. PUP it is. I was leaning toward to MC filter too, because if e85 keeps staying more cost effective to run, I might be tempted again. No point in an extended performance filter if I'm just gonna change the oil in 5000 miles anyway (yes I know i could leave the filter, but it's not happening - I'm already down there, and they're only $4 a pop)

Were you live you could use any 30 weight and not have any problems.

I'll take that back I thought MI was Mississippi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back