Total Quartz 7000 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
When looking at the MSDS and TDS documents for this oil,are the more knowledgeable members able to determine if this product is a blend of Group 1 and Group 3 base oils,or is it Group 1 and Group 2 with something else? I have been told previously that the pour point figure is a typo. I am very interested to know an approximate of this oils composition.

http://htsuppliesltd.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Material-Safet-Data-Sheet-Quartz-7000.pdf

http://www.total-distributor-partners.com/media/15337/quartz_7000_10w-40_-_08.2013.pdf

What is the real pour point?
I’ve used this oil, and it wasn’t the best performing 10W40 I tried in cold weather (in my car).
Sorry, can’t help for your question.

-42 seem plausible, but low! Well, if Shell HX7 pp is -45º, why not.

25% gr I and 15% gr III according to the pdf? What’s the rest?
Or maybe 25% gr I, 15% gr II, and rest is gr III plus additives, etc. It’s a heavy 10W40, so either some serious gr I, or serious VII! But pour point is low...

(I’m just guessing here, need to wait for real experts)

Pour Point is irrelevant, which is why they've been replaced with CCS and MRV. It's a 10w-xx which means it is out of spec for pumping at -30C and cold cranking at -25C.

Yes, and I've seen rather low pour points for a 15w-40 (i.e. RP 15w-40), around -45 C as I recall, despite me not choosing it as a winter fill.
wink.gif
Of course, I've seen poor pour points (type that three times fast) in a 5w-30 that I did use for winter.

At a complete guess, because I'm no expert, and taking the MSDS at face value.....

I think Hydrotreated is Group I, so their are two of these for a total of 40%.
Group II is Hydrocracked. Group III is Catalytic Dewaxing and Hydroisomerization, neither are listed.
Ref: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4564282/
The rest is the add pack at about 8.5%. Certainly not everything is listed and the MSDS only works in very rough figures.

My completely amature guess would be: about 40% Group I and about 10% for the add pack and about 50% Group III (remainder).

Does the Viscosity Index of 160 point towards a load of VII, or could it mean a heavy Group 3 base or something else maybe.Does colour give any clues to the type/types of base oils that are used.

All good questions Ether, and I have no answers for you.

I always assumed that a semi-synthetic was a Group II & Group III mix, and maybe for the thinner US market ILSAC oils it is. But I was shocked to discover that thicker Euro 10W40 oils could be a Group I & Group III mix.

Very few companies tell you what Groups are used in their products, so it's mostly guess work.

Two points I've settled on, if it passes a good standard then it should be a good oil and there is little use in double guessing how they got there. There is a lot of chemistry involved with dispersants, detergents, anti-oxidants, etc that focusing on one component isn't very useful.

Second, if I really don't want any significant amount of Group I base in my formulated oil, then I buy a full synthetic and be done with it.

I have a bit of 10W40 SN & A3/B4 semi-synthetic at home, various brands, some may be Group I & III (with more Group III ?) while some may be Group II & III (with less Group III ?) either way - I'm going to use it without concern. They should all be fine for 6k miles / 10k KM / 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back