When should I do the first oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a new 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I am trying to decide when and which oil and filter to use for the first oil change. Right now it has about 1200 miles on it.

Are there any reasons to leave the factory oil (dino pennzoil I think) a specified time for break in?

I am thinking full synthetic but which one? Manual says 5w/20 which meets ms-6395.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

It should have been out of there 700 miles ago at least. I go 100 miles and dump it, then 500 then 1K then normal oci intervals.
Yes engines still shed metal and no engines are not built any cleaner than years ago, machining metal is dirty business there is no way around it.

Edit: The old argument "the filter will catch it" is a bit bogus also, there is a tight clearance oil pump before the filter that can get scored by metal particles especially ferrous metals.

Last edited:
I'd change it now. Then change it again at ~2-3,000. Then go for a full OCI per the manual or oil life monitor. Or you could just run the factory fill for the full OCI and it will be fine either way.

As far as which oil to go with, pick whichever color bottle you like or whichever one is cheapest. You really can't go wrong.

welcome2.gif

Pretty much every off the shelf oil meats the MS-6395 specification for both Conventional and Synthetic so no worries there... I would use Pennzoil because Chrysler seems to be in bed with them for recommended oil and PUP is a good oil performance wise. M1 is also a great choice.

I have always dumped the Factory Fill at the 1,000km (600 miles) and then run the second fill a conservative 5,000km (3K miles) and then run the 3rd fill to whatever I feel comfortable running. I'm not saying this is necessary just that I have always done it and it's worked for me.

Personally I use Amsoil and have really nice UOA's of it in my Chrysler engine as well as other vehicles I have owned. Just FWIW.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new Truck.

I have always changed my oil on a new vehicle before it hits 1000 miles. Then I would change it before it hits 3k miles then at 5k miles then do 5k intervals from there on.

Dodge is sponsored by Pennzoil (joke here)

I think you can run Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w20 with confidence in this nice truck of yours at 5k intervals with no problems
thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
I think an early change is a waste of time and money. Follow the OLM and use dino up until the 30k mark for best break-in, - then switch to full synthetic. Keeping it topped off between changes is important.

Change it now then usual OCI per owner's manual for the next change. I went 1,000 miles on each of our cars/trucks and then 5,000 miles after the 1st oil change. So far engine's been fine for our 24 year old Toyota p/u, 12 year old Toyota Avalon and 2014 Toyota Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It should have been out of there 700 miles ago at least. I go 100 miles and dump it, then 500 then 1K then normal oci intervals.
Yes engines still shed metal and no engines are not built any cleaner than years ago, machining metal is dirty business there is no way around it.

Edit: The old argument "the filter will catch it" is a bit bogus also, there is a tight clearance oil pump before the filter that can get scored by metal particles especially ferrous metals.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Twodogs10mm
Hi, I have a new 2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I am trying to decide when and which oil and filter to use for the first oil change. Right now it has about 1200 miles on it.

Are there any reasons to leave the factory oil (dino pennzoil I think) a specified time for break in?

I am thinking full synthetic but which one? Manual says 5w/20 which meets ms-6395.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

I overrode my MMS that tells me to change my oil for the FF at a ridiculously low <4000 miles. It's been proven or surmised through UOAs that a little fuel in the oil doesn't impact wear, and eventhough it thins the oil's viscosity, the TBN tells you your oil is still protecting from acids and other by-products. I changed my FF at almost 6000 miles and what makes this noteworthy, for me anyway, is the MMS was dictating around 4000 miles! Needless to say, I plan on sticking with the MMS like the bible and koran combined, lol.

Last edited:
I usually use about 2,500 miles or 1/2 the normal recommended mileage. Early changes are a waste of time and money in the modern engine with an oil filter. Ed

My new Fiesta has 1700 miles now. I plan on doing the first oil change at 2000. Slightly arbitrary, but I am not waiting 10,000 miles for the OLM to come on.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Follow the OEM maintenance guide.

I agree with this.
I used to believe that a couple of early drains were important to long engine life so I used to do them.
Not anymore.
If the manufacturer thought it mattered, then they'd specify it.
Heck, the OM for the newer Accord is pretty adamant about not doing an early drain of the FF, but what does Honda know?

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

^^^^This. +++

And this is why: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4505662/Found_this_in_my_canister_oil_

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4022760/Re:_Break-in_for_new_vehicles#Post4022760

This subject is unsettled on BITOG. User Kschachn criticized early change out, but he offers no "published technical justification" for an engine lasting past its warranty period...But Trav is the master. You'd do well to listen to him.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There is no published technical justification for an early changeout of the factory fill, nor for the stepped routine Fitch describes in his article. I don't know where he gets his supposed information from.

Jim Fitch has published more articles and holds more patents than most BITOGERS have years of education and experience. (beginning with kindergarten). I'm not going to offer further info on Mr. Fitch's credentials. Most people know how to google.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Honestly sir, I can find no published technical justification for an engine to last past its warranty period.

Do whatever lets you sleep at night. Hope you enjoy your new truck.
11.gif

You were smart enough to buy the best truck (with the best engine) on the market today (IMO). Now be smart enough to take care of it properly. Change out the factory fill ASAP. Go with PUP 5W-20 and the OEM filter. From now on, change out the oil and filter every 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first. Your engine will repay you with flawless performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
oil and filter every 6 months or 5,000 miles whichever comes first.

What if you only have 2000 miles on your oil after 6 months ? Drain it ?

Great, but none of this guy's publications support the notion that a bunch of early drains are either needed or desirable.
The notion that an engine given OEM drain intervals won't last past its warranty period is laughable.
You could probably double the recommended drain interval of the FF and do the same with every subsequent drain and the engine would last some multiple of the warranty period anyway. Those are sort of drain intervals used in the EU as compared to what's recommended here, but maybe those manufactures don't know anything either?
Maybe BMW, Mercedes and VAG should have consulted Jim?
I ran the FF of our newer Accord 8700 miles, giving it a full normal run as those know-nothings at Honda recommended. I've done the same for each subsequent drain. Now pushing 80K, this Accord uses no noticeable amounts of oil in an OCI.
Maybe those Honda guys were right and this Fitch guy is wrong?
Maybe kschachn had a valid point, without regard to the Word of Jim?
I agree with you when you state that the OP should do whatever lets him sleep at night.
I don't know about you, but I don't find oil drain intervals on factory new engines to be any impediment to a night of good rest.
We are no longer looking at new sixties SBCs nor is this a thread about a field overhaul or some garage rebuild.

In my honest opinion... you should have busted out the drain pan and did the oil change in the dealer's lot. Hahaha.

You know, leave them with the factory oil and factory protective stickers from the truck. Hahaha.

My Grand Cherokee manual says normal changes, but the dealer said 1000 km. Of course that put me in the middle of nowhere, so it was around 1800 when I got there and found they did not have the filters yet.

That said, I have pictures somewhere of a whole lot of particles in the first oil change of a KIA that came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back