Suzuki Swift Sport engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, thanks for awesome site!

Some (stupid?) questions:

I got fantastic little Suzuki with 1.6L 16 valve m16a 92kw/136hp 7200rpm redline, timing chain, 11.1:1 comp ratio engine...

Suzukis first fill is something 0w-20 (for emission, older model with same engine had 5w-30), service manual is very broad/vague for oil specs. Anything from a 0w-20 all the way to a 20w-40 and everything in between from SG to SM classification!

Our (Finland) Suzuki service uses Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.
I changed oil even it was changed 5000km (3000miles) ago (because you never know buying used cars), i put my work places Liqui Moly 4200 (5w-30, and Liqui say that this is for my car)

We got here -20c to +25c (-4 to 77f) so im using 5w-30 oils at least winter.
Im going some track days at summer, im just asking is there really any REAL benefit to use 40 weight oil couple track days?
Or any harm use M1 5w-30 ESP/Liqui Moly 4200 oil at gasoline car, with or without track days?
Should i buy something else?

Or am i just little paranoid? These are rare cars on here, so i dont want to kill it.
laugh.gif

I normally use older engines (usually turbos) with M1 0w-40, nothing problem with that...
smile.gif

Im thinking running max 12 months or max 7500km (5000miles) per oil change (stock is 12month/15 000km/10000miles), seems to be about 2 oil changes per year.

Tell me your opinion or knowledge. Thanks much.
smile.gif

Last edited:
You guys have M1 D1 5W30 ESP?? I'm pretty jealous! Based on my experience with M1 D1 5W40, I would just run it all the time and use oil analysis to determine how often to change it.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
You guys have M1 D1 5W30 ESP?? I'm pretty jealous! Based on my experience with M1 D1 5W40, I would just run it all the time and use oil analysis to determine how often to change it.

It seems to be 100% same as USA's "M1 5W30 ESP", its called Mobil 1™ ESP Formula 5W-30 in here.

Heres link to europe/english mobil site: http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/esp-formula-5w-30.aspx?tabs=specifications#tabs

If somebody wants to know datasheet of Liqui Moly 4200 here is it: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000323/3706-TopTec42005W-30-33.0-en.pdf

Mobil 1 0w40 would work good for cold winter and some track days. Is on the thin side of 40 too so it will be fine. The M1 0W40 can go to 10000 miles easily in most cases. You could run it for the full 12 months and 10k miles. The only thing to consider is the track days and you may change oil earlier if you do quite a few.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

I don't think the OPer is talking about a Delvac oil, M1 5W30 ESP seems to be common in Europe and largely targeted to diesel passenger cars that are much more common there than in the US.
I have used that ESP oil in my DIT engine and thought maybe my gas mileage dropped just a bit compared to plain ol M1 5W30, the ESP product is pretty thick at 100C for a 5W30 and also has a high HTHS for that grade (3.58?). Given that level of high temp protection as well as a low NOACK loss of around 6%, maybe it is a good choice for track use?

Ah sorry, i didnt see that "D1". Yes Delvac oil are here pretty "rare" in here. Only used at semi-trailer trucks and big Mercedes vans. Delvac is marketing here as "truck (semi-trailer) oil".

So yes, we use ESP not Delvac in here.

Maybe i go tomorrow to local shop to buy Mobil ESP, its seems to be better than Liqui Moly, HTHS is 3.58 vs 3.5.

HTHS is the thing what i need, if im right? Thanks for fast answers
smile.gif

Last edited:
There is not really much difference at all between 3.58 and 3.5. Use whichever is less expensive and or more readily available.

Congrats on the new Suzuki. Those are great cars with excellent engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back