Toyota Sienna front tires wore out under a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Toyota Sienna 160,000 miles. I bought new tires last year. Michelin 80,000 mile tires. The issue is the front tires wore out in less than a year. Discount tires would not rotate them. I had to buy two new tires. My question is: Do you think this is a Toyota Sienna van problem or do you think the wife hit a few potholes? The steering wheel has a very small shimmy – you can hardly notice it.

Heavy FWD car with a v6 engine and possibly worn out / out of alignment front end?

I wouldn't put any blame on the wife or Michelin

Did you put 80,000 miles on the van or 800 miles? The Defenders seem to never get near their mileage rating anyways.

Yep, im going to say shocks are done and need new all around..along with a thorough check of all other suspension related parts (ball joints, tie rods, etc etc) and an alignment before you go too far or those new tires will be finished again. Make sure to also check the air pressure monthly or so at least.

Driving style is #1 and something mechanical is #2.

Just rotated the OE Michelin primacy tires on the Odyssey. At 28k miles, fronts have 7/32 and rears have 7.5/32 after rotation.

Front wheel drive is very hard on front tires. Lots of weight, steering, accelerating and most of the braking take a toll. Combine that with any misalignment, sub-optimal pressure or worn suspension parts and you have a recipe for rapid tire wear.

I had a Ford Fiesta back in the day and unless I rotated the tires (small diameter, narrow Michelin radials) regularly the front ones wore out in no time at all. They seemed to last a lot longer if you rotated them.

My parents have a 2002 and it's easy to spin the tires if you want to. Couple this with bad alignment or shimmy (which could lead to all kinds of wear) and it would not be hard to wear out tires in a year.

How many miles on those tires.
Not too many people will rack up that kind of miles in a year but gotta ask.

Last time shocks & struts replaced?

A small shimmy is all it takes to destroy a tire.
Who balanced them?
I would say that the most likely culprit is...
Balanced poorly
Shocks/struts
Tie rods
Ball joints (probably hear them though?)

Definitely not a Sienna specific problem, as our 2004 is the same generation. We bought it in 2011 and tires (Michelin Primacy) were already a few years old but not much wear. We added 100 000 KMs on them. Next summer will be their last, not due to wearing out, but because they are over 7 years old. I won't risk something happening to my family just because I didn't replace tires that were not yet at the wear mark.

Alignment and/or driving style is more likely the problem for you.

Originally Posted By: handyman
2006 Toyota Sienna 160,000 miles. I bought new tires last year. Michelin 80,000 mile tires. The issue is the front tires wore out in less than a year. Discount tires would not rotate them. I had to buy two new tires. My question is: Do you think this is a Toyota Sienna van problem or do you think the wife hit a few potholes? The steering wheel has a very small shimmy – you can hardly notice it.

"A year" is pretty meaningless. I can go through a set of tires in a weekend.

Last edited:
My 2006 Caravan was eating the front tires. It would shimmy a little on the freeway on curves. It turned out to be worn out tie rod ends. I don't know about the Toyota, but the maintenance schedule for the Caravan lists inspecting the tie rod ends.

Well, We also started towing a small pop up camper about a year ago. You guys are great, I did not even think about the struts. I'm shopping now for new struts the all in one struts are expensive! Around 250 each for the front.

Originally Posted By: handyman
Well, We also started towing a small pop up camper about a year ago. You guys are great, I did not even think about the struts. I'm shopping now for new struts the all in one struts are expensive! Around 250 each for the front.

Where are you shopping?

Monroe quick struts are $122 each at Rockauto

Siennas are also known for having worn out control arm bushings. I plan on replacing those and the shocks on my parent's 05 sometime next year.

Really should lift the front end and check it before blindly replacing parts.

You also did not mention how many miles were driven, and towing will put double the wear on the drive tires.

I was shopping at autozone and O'reilly's. Rock auto does have the better price at 122.
miles driven was about 25,000. We went camping a lot last year and towed the camper about 1,000 miles.

How would you replace worn out control brushings? do they pop out with some borrowed tools from autozone or do you need a hydraulic press?

Front tires can wear at double the rate, especially on a heavy FWD van. Since they weren’t rotated, 25k miles isn’t too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back