Bosch Distance Plus D3422 10k miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter came off a 2017 VW Jetta with the 1.4 TSI engine. 20k on the car, 10k on the Valvoline SynPower 5w40 MST. Nice formed louvers, no tears, slightly wider pleats at the seam but not too bad. The ADBV is still soft and pliable, a few little cuts in it but not deep enough to cause any issues. The media is pretty tough, I had a hard time tearing it without the use of tools. I bought 2 of these filters at Walmart for $5 a piece in the early days of the clearance, then I bought a few more for $3. Still have a few in the stash.

I put back on a Bosch Distance Plus D3330 which is a bit shorter than the 3422 (3614 vs 3600) and some more Valvoline SynPower 5w40 MST.

Enjoy.

Looks great until you get to here:

33.gif

While I doubt it caused any issue, just don't understand it.
Seems like you definitely got your moneys worth out of it.
Thanks for posting it.

I have 2 of this size (one is an older one with holes instead of louvers) for the Scion, two 3323 (works on my bike and sisters Hyundai) that have louvers, and two 3410 for my truck (one currently in use on brother in laws truck) and a 3324 for my mom's Saturn.

Once these are gone, I am done with any Puro made filters.

Generally Looks OK, but Ill take my M110A Champ all day long. I don't like that the inlet hole radius is so close to the outlet as far as ADBV OP GOES.

Had too many seam leakers on the Pur-O-Leaker In the 90's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Looks great until you get to here:

33.gif

While I doubt it caused any issue, just don't understand it.

Those cuts aren't very deep in this example, so shouldn't affect the ADBV functionality. But the base plate design with the inlet holes so close to the center could cause the flow area of the inlet holes to become reduced due to partical blockage by the ADBV.

Those cuts are barely nicks, no effect at all on the functionality of the ADBV. As long as no tears in the media I am good. I will use the remaining Bosch Distance Plus that I have with no hesitation.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Nice, golden-colored oil.

You could probably double the miles on your OCI easily.

Even though it could probably go longer with no issues, I believe 10k is enough. I have a bunch of clearance oil in my stash that needs to be used up. Hehe.

Originally Posted By: FlyingVan
Those cuts are barely nicks, no effect at all on the functionality of the ADBV. As long as no tears in the media I am good. I will use the remaining Bosch Distance Plus that I have with no hesitation.

Look at the new ones you have on the shelf and see how much of the inlet holes are covered by the ADBV where it's smashed down tight against the holes. Take a flashlight and look down inside the holes. In the 4th photo in post #1 they don't look very blocked, but with the cuts being where they are it seems some of the hole area must get blocked off.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Look at the new ones you have on the shelf and see how much of the inlet holes are covered by the ADBV where it's smashed down tight against the holes. Take a flashlight and look down inside the holes. In the 4th photo in post #1 they don't look very blocked, but with the cuts being where they are it seems some of the hole area must get blocked off.

I will look if I get a chance tomorrow.

I played today with the ADBV and the base plate of this filter and I don't believe that the cuts are made by the burrs of the holes. The radius of the cuts in the ADBV looks to be smaller than the radius of the inlet holes. I think that the cuts/nicks were done by the assembly jig that pressed the outside metal piece over the base plate. I will do an oil change on the other Jetta this weekend and cut the filter next week some time. I will take a better look at the ADBV and the cuts.

Good point the cuts can be made by a machine that presses the baseplate together. Especially the ones that go all the way through. They are sealed pretty well anyway even if cut.
This is my Luber Finer filter made by Champ Labs. Plenty of intrusion of adbv into inlet hole, no harm done, there is still plenty of hole. This is one of the strongest and heaviest built filters I have seen. The very thick baseplate can be seen. 18mm thread no bypass for GM. No cuts not even a sign of it.

I played today with the ADBV and the base plate of this filter and I don't believe that the cuts are made by the burrs of the holes. The radius of the cuts in the ADBV looks to be smaller than the radius of the inlet holes. I think that the cuts/nicks were done by the assembly jig that pressed the outside metal piece over the base plate. I will do an oil change on the other Jetta this weekend and cut the filter next week some time. I will take a better look at the ADBV and the cuts.

Scratch all that. Looking at the other unused filters the cuts/nicks are probably made by the burrs of the holes during assembly.
Looking at all of them that I have in the stash, I have a D3330 with the ADBV mangled up pretty bad. This filter is unusable. I will take a few photos and post them in another thread.

Looking at all of them that I have in the stash, I have a D3330 with the ADBV mangled up pretty bad. This filter is unusable. I will take a few photos and post them in another thread.

Hummm, doesn't sound good. Will look for the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back