Rotella 10w30 CK-4 in CJ-4/SM bottle? w/pictures!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOG,

I took advantage of the mild (but windy) weather here this afternoon to change the oil in my 4Runner. Decided to use some of the Rotella T-4 10w30 CJ-4/SM that I bought at a screaming good deal back in February from Amazon in 3x 1 gallon boxes.

I remember hearing discussions here that CK-4 was already in CJ-4 bottles prior to the official switch over in January. Didn't give it much thought until today when I finally opened up the boxes of oil and pulled out the jugs. The oil was advertised on Amazon as CJ-4/SM and that's what the box said as well. Once I pulled out the jugs and saw the new style T-4 bottle I looked a little closer. According to the box these jugs were packaged after the new year yet still carry the CJ-4/SM rating. I suspect that this is in fact CK-4 in drag. Either way it's currently in my 4Runner replacing the VWB SAE 30 I'd put in back in the early summer. Enjoy the pictures.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
No idea why the site decided to turn 2/3 of those images on their side. Sorry about that.

It’s ok Luke. That is strange about the box and the jugs of oil in regards to API classification

Not sure what the actual spec of the oil I installed, not that it matters either way, I have full faith and confidence that regardless of CJ-4 or CK-4 the oil will perform just fine in my little 4 cylinder.

I can't remember when they switched over to ck4. I think it was around November 2016. Yes it was ck4 even though it said cj4 on the bottles. This question has been asked like 20 to.es before, so someone knows the answer.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
No problem in your FourRunner.
Now if you had a FordRunner, there might be a discussion.....

Isn't that the truth! What a mess Ford has with the CK-4 Diesel situation. On a side note the 4Runner made it to work and back without blowing up so I thought must be good
wink.gif

Ford has never been great with fluid recommendations, they are just continuing a long standing tradition.
grin.gif

Mercon LV, or Mercon SP? 5w30, back spec to 5w20? 5w20 in the Ecoboost until it didn't work, then 5w30 was OK. 5w30 unless the tensioners act up, then 10w40....
Whoever is in charge of the folks in fluids at Ford should clean house, then be fired themselves.
Eventually, CK-4 will be OK because that's all you'll be able to get.

Hi FlyNavyP3, good question! The bottles do indeed contain the latest CK-4 formulation, though when you purchased the product, Rotella was in the midst of transitioning to the new packaging. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi FlyNavyP3, good question! The bottles do indeed contain the latest CK-4 formulation, though when you purchased the product, Rotella was in the midst of transitioning to the new packaging. Hope this helps!

Chris,

Thank you for clearing up my suspicions that this contained CK-4, the oil is currently in service in my truck and I will follow up with a UOA in a few months.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back