How long til a deep freezer thaws if unpulgged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I unplugged my brother's deep freezer yesterday afternoon so I could plug in his air compressor. I intended on plugging the deep freezer back in after I was done with the air compressor but I totally forgot about it. So just 30 minutes ago, it hit me; I forgot to plug the **** deep freezer in!!! It was left unplugged for about 12 hours. I hope the stuff in it didn't thaw out, he'd be terribly angry at me if anything went bad in it.

Thou shall not touch another man's freezer.

Well, it's highly unlikely that anything spoiled, but maybe all the fish sticks stick now to each other.
frown.gif

Should be fine. I left a deep freeze unplugged for about three weeks by accident and was still eating out of it for two.
shocked.gif

'twas in my 50 degree (F) basement, and initially -5'F in there, so it took a while to get funky. Of course once it did, that was a disappointing thing to clean up.

Not a prob, IMHO. I just endured a 16 hour outage because of storms. The key is keeping the thing fully loaded even if it is with milk jugs full of water.

It's an old deep freezer and I think the thermostat or whatever on it isn't functional, he tried to measure the temperature inside it one time, and well, the thermometer only goes to -40 celsius, so it's at least that cold, maybe even colder.

I agree with labman. It's burning huge amounts of electricity. The repair would probably pay for itself in short order.

Unless the freezer was really old and in bad shape from rust or exposed insulation, 12-16 hours is nothing. We had three deep freezers loaded with food when Hurricane Isabel hit in 2003 and lost power for 3-1/2 days. Two were chest freezers, which are in theory better at retaining cold, and the other was a new upright with a refrigerator-style door. We kept the freezers closed at all times during the outage. (Thanks to Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative for an outstanding job getting its customers back on.) Once power came back, we checked all the freezers. Short story: everything was still frozen, nothing was lost. The frig, on the other hand . . . Uh!

Shouldn't be a problem for the beef, but check any pork because it thaws much faster, especially things like ham steaks and sausage. A whole ham won't thaw as fast, but the smaller pork items will.

Reminds me of a fateful Fall Break. We were told to leave the thermostats at 75. Well, ours would stick if it was set above a certain temp, 70, so we left it at 70. My roommate came back to the apartment, to find the power to the kitchen had been kicked off, and the indoor thermometer reading 120 fahrenheit.

Fall Break was 5 days. The first day we were gone workers came in to work on something. They evidenty flipped the kitchen breaker and forgot to flip it back, but was able to remember to turn the thermostat up to 75. This caused the heater to kick on full blast. With a few days of 120 temps and an unplugged fridge, everything was cooked. The eggs were cooked in their shells. Honey was toasted, everything in the fridge was ruined. I came back a day after my roommate to find all the windows open and the apartment stinking to high heaven. We got a new controller and a $65 check from the school for the ruined food.

Dunno about the original question, but someone left the freezer door open in Lithgow this morning.

I took the dog for a walk at 7:15 this morning.

By the time I reached the newsagents, my goatee was frozen.

First time ever for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back