Anyone Have a Playstation VR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at the point where I "almost" need reading glasses. Would I be able to game on a Playstation VR or is it for "younger eyes only"?

I wish I did... Ace Combat 7 is releasing soon and it looks amazing on PS4 VR.
shocked2.gif

Is the PlayStation VR a stand alone setup or do you need the standard PlayStation 4 console box to run the headset and all that? What all do you need for a turn-key system to start playing?

The last game system I had that I used was a Super Nintendo. My wife came with a PlayStation 2 but I’ve never even used it. Well maybe to screen Netflix.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Is the PlayStation VR a stand alone setup or do you need the standard PlayStation 4 console box to run the headset and all that? What all do you need for a turn-key system to start playing?

You use it with the PS4. I really want to get it as the new Gran Tursimo Sport is on VR. However all the sets in stock on Cyber Monday were a bundle with Grand Tursimo which I already have.

So as I understand it you need:

- PS4 console box and at least one controller
- VR Headset
- PS4 camera that goes with the VR
- One or two Move (motion) controllers (possibly game specific / optional)

Probably the trick will be to find a place bundling all of the above, maybe with a VR game or two thrown in (Skyrim VR and Doom VR supposed to be good...) at a killer price.

Probably should have gotten on to this before Black Friday and Cyber Monday ...
smile.gif

Are VR developed games done in 3D in the headset so it's like it's all around you? That would be cool, especially in something like Ace Combat 7. If your point-of-view or field of vision tracks/sweeps with head movement and it's also 3D... well that could be one cool experience in a flight sim.

Are VR developed games done in 3D in the headset so it's like it's all around you?

Generally, yes. Some games are 'third person' so it's like looking at a diorama rather than being inside it, but most are first person. You can play Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR with a mod that costs about $25. It also has support for using a camera to track your hands, so you can use them to adjust the controls in the cockpit.

The downside is that the two headsets I've used (Rift and Vive) are like flying while wearing a SCUBA mask, because the field-of-view is only about 100 degrees. Not sure how the PSVR compares.

I'm at the point where I "almost" need reading glasses. Would I be able to game on a Playstation VR or is it for "younger eyes only"?

I don't know about the Playstation, but I love my Rift headset because, while I need glasses for driving and reading, I don't need to wear them in the headset. The lenses are focussed about six feet from my eyes, and I don't need glasses to see clearly at that distance.

I won't be surprised if, when the next generation come out with better resolution and field-of-view, I use one instead of a monitor, because it's easier to read.

Originally Posted By: emg
Are VR developed games done in 3D in the headset so it's like it's all around you?

Generally, yes. Some games are 'third person' so it's like looking at a diorama rather than being inside it, but most are first person. You can play Microsoft Flight Simulator in VR with a mod that costs about $25. It also has support for using a camera to track your hands, so you can use them to adjust the controls in the cockpit.

The downside is that the two headsets I've used (Rift and Vive) are like flying while wearing a SCUBA mask, because the field-of-view is only about 100 degrees. Not sure how the PSVR compares.

Wait, what? You can get VR head gear for playing on the pc or laptop? The 3D flight sim experience is a main thing, next to shooters, that I'd want to try. Wonder if the VR add-on for MS Flight Sim puts more load on the PC's CPU. May launch a new thread on PC VR ... Thanks for this info!!

There are the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive for the PC. I think the Rift is about $350 and the Vive about $500. There are also the Microsoft-backed Windows VR headsets, but I'm not sure which are actually available to buy yet: I haven't used any of those.

The VR mod does put an extra load on the CPU because the game has to draw every frame twice. With developed-for-VR games, that's not such a big deal, as there are ways to build the scene once and tell the GPU to draw it twice, but for games that are modded to run in VR it can make the CPU the limiting factor for performance as it typically doubles the CPU overhead for drawing the graphics.

But I have an i7-3770, and FSX works decently in VR with a few aircraft and scenery mods installed.

Edit: here's the mod I use. You can download a free version which lets you fly for fifteen minutes at a time, or pay for a license to fly as much as you want:

https://flyinside-fsx.com/

Edit2: Oh, yeah, the Rift is incompatible with most laptops. The Vive may work with one, but most games expect at least a GTX960 GPU or the ATI equivalent. The Windows VR headsets are supposed to work with integrated graphics, but the games probably won't look particularly good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back