2017 Tucson 1.6T oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening! I just purchased a 2017 Tucson with a 1.6 turbo engine.

The oil specs in the Tucson owner's manual states ACEA A5 is recommended. However there is a note that states "If ACEA A5 is not available in your country, you are able to use ILSAC GF-3 (or above) or ACEA A3 (or above)". Oils meeting the A5 spec seem limited to fewer choices than GF-5 oils. Which oils are better? A3/A5 oils or GF-5 oils. Should I hunt for A5 or go with a more easily available GF-5 synthetic?

Most A5/B5 oils in North America will also be SN/GF-5. The simplest solution is Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, with the former being cheaper and probably easier to find.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Most A5/B5 oils in North America will also be SN/GF-5. The simplest solution is Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, with the former being cheaper and probably easier to find.

Currently using PP 5w-30 in my Elantra. Like how the oil performs in this car. Enjoy the Tucson!

I have been using pp 5w30 and and some ulta 5w30. I currently have qsud 5w30 in the elantra. I like it just as well.

In 5w30, Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synthetic will be your best bets. Both meet A5 according to their spec sheets.

If you want off the shelf then stick to the recommendations already. Otherwise this would be an excellent candidate for Amsoil's re-tuned signature series formulas that are guaranteed 100% protection against LSPI which can happen in this engine and which showed much better deposit control than off the shelf synthetics when it comes to Turbo bearings.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

Last edited:
I run Motorcraft 5w-30 synthetic-blend (is ACEA A5 compliant) and OE oil filter, from Walmart in the 5 qt red jug, in wifes 16 Tuscon with same engine. Change it every 5k miles, rotate tires and done..40k miles on car and zero issues.

Last edited:
Among the 3 oils mentioned above:-
PP 5W30 A5B5 is an A5B5;
MC 5W30: some are A5B5 and some are not, depending on which M2C-9xx ; and
Valvoline 5W30 is NOT A5B5.

Just to be extra careful, I would pick out an A5 oil that also has a dexos1 Gen 2 license...this is the only standard we have now that includes a test showing that a DI turbo engine running that oil had a low level of LSPI occurrence (a GM engine, of course, but I still think it's better than no LSPI testing at all).

Hundreds of oils have dexos1 Gen 2 licenses and more of more of them are showing up on WalMart shelves, at the very least...PPPP 5W30 is an example of one that I've seen locally.
Strange to me that none of the M1 5W30 oils common in the US are A5/B5, seems like they are likely to miss a good hunk of market among people who actually read their manuals?

EDIT - As Stevie C mentioned, Amsoil SS (and XL now?) oils are guaranteed to pass the DIT-related parts of dexos1 Gen 2 even though they do not have licenses for that standard, believe their SA numbers are too high. I think these could also be good choices for the Tucson assuming they are A5.

Last edited:
The 1.6T Gamma DI engine is nothing new. You can search around the various Hyundai forum for recommendations (although most are in the oil dark-ages with 3K OCI folks). Only the first OCI is 3K and then 5K after that. Hyundai provides some larger sumps (4.75qts) for their DI engines. Dilution is the solution!

Havoline Synthetic is ACEA A5 if you want a better $ option. Heck, you can go 5w30 or heavier!!!!

Update

While at the dealership service department yesterday, I asked the service manager what type of oil they use for the Tucson turbos. He said they use Quaker State green bottle 5w-30 (conventional) for everything. When I referred him to the ACEA spec in the owner's manual, he said "that's what's recommended. It's not required". So I guess I was overthinking this a bit. I'm gonna opt for a good synthetic and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
Update

While at the dealership service department yesterday, I asked the service manager what type of oil they use for the Tucson turbos. He said they use Quaker State green bottle 5w-30 (conventional) for everything. When I referred him to the ACEA spec in the owner's manual, he said "that's what's recommended. It's not required". So I guess I was overthinking this a bit. I'm gonna opt for a good synthetic and call it a day.

That is exactly what our dealership told me and was verified by Hyundai USA for our 2013 2.0T SFS, where only SM/GF-4 is "recommended." I posed the question when the ACEA A5 recommendation came out in more recent years. In all honesty, the few times conventional has been used, there has been no noticeable difference in drivability or appearance of oil.

Originally Posted by RamAir5
Update

More idiots AGAIN seen at dealerships give oil advice on the LOW scale. Service managers can be SO unimpressive on their knowledge, some great and many not so much. How about striving for a higher quality oil recommendation to help save a "rough service" use. saying to use a conventional oil in a high heat turbo is fricken absurd. Let's coke up that turbo shaft if you drive harder then a blind grandpa that drives under 2,500 rpm and 28 mph. ;-)

Then why has Hyundai sent out a TSB that all 2.0 turbos new oil spec is to use 5w-40 exclusively, (no cert or approvals given) just any 5w-40 because of Hyundai's 10 year problem that still has not been figured out with their "boundary layer oil film problem".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back