CVT Transmissions-Long term durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m looking into buying a 2018 Subaru Forester XT Touring and I see that it features a CVT transmission.I mostly do highway and I always keep my vehicles long term.My question is how long would a CVT transmission last with regular fluid changes at 30K?I would like to keep this Subaru past 150K if possible.Thanks Joe

Just budget for a CVT replacement over the life you intend to get out of it. Then if the CVT lasts take the money and go on a nice vacation somewhere.
wink.gif

"We the people" need to set up a "CVT Guide" where lifespans and failures of the different CVT models are logged.

A friend has a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander (4 cyl.) and at 92,000 we did a pan drop and filter replacement and fluid refresh.

The fluid was the color of dark maple syrup and the filter was completely untouched.
It was stainless steel mesh and perfectly clean. There was no need to change but we did anyway.

Another pal got a Subaru Impreza Sport and we've a date to do the same to his car a few years from now.

Originally Posted By: Kira
"We the people" need to set up a "CVT Guide" where lifespans and failures of the different CVT models are logged.

A friend has a 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander (4 cyl.) and at 92,000 we did a pan drop and filter replacement and fluid refresh.

The fluid was the color of dark maple syrup and the filter was completely untouched.
It was stainless steel mesh and perfectly clean. There was no need to change but we did anyway.

Another pal got a Subaru Impreza Sport and we've a date to do the same to his car a few years from now.

I have to admit that I've been way too scared to mess with the CVT in my Subaru, but is a pan drop really possible with these?
My impression was that these are sealed units and the fluid replacement is accomplished by a complicated vacuum out/force in procedure at a specific range of fluid temps. I hesitated about chiming in since I haven't gotten my hands dirty on this part of my car and let a dealer take care of it at 60kmiles, but I have also read a couple of threads on subaruforester.org about doing this job and it didn't sound like a pan drop was an option.
My FXT has a special high torque unit and it even has its own special fluid from Subaru as a result, so trying to make absolutely sure that the dealer used the proper fluid was an extra stressor for me after realizing that another dealer didn't even seem to know that my turbo took 5W30 instead of 0W20. 10kmiles after the 60k service I realized that the wrong air filter had been installed, NA version instead of the part specified for the turbo, so I am really wondering if the CVT got the right stuff...I'm not worried about hydrogen fusing into helium in the CVT as a result, just figure it couldn't be a good thing long term. I'm sure Subaru didn't develop a special fluid for the FXT/WRX CVT just for the heck of it.

Originally Posted By: Joeescape63
I’m looking into buying a 2018 Subaru Forester XT Touring and I see that it features a CVT transmission.I mostly do highway and I always keep my vehicles long term.My question is how long would a CVT transmission last with regular fluid changes at 30K?I would like to keep this Subaru past 150K if possible.Thanks Joe

Same plan as mine with the wife's Rogue. I've already done the ~30K CVT fluid service (at the dealer) as well as the two differentials (with M1 lube). I plan on keeping it till over 200K if possible (my normal SOP). When I bought the CUV new, I did also purchase a bumper-to-bumper warranty till 10yr/120K miles for $1.3K as some insurance on the powertrain.

I did some research on these as my parents were VERY close to buying a 18 Forester CVT after seeing my 18 Forester 6M. My dad doesn't trust PDU driven AWD systems, but their '13 Escape made it to 80K miles with zero mechanical issues and seemingly would have easily gone another 20K without problems.

It seems the Subaru CVTs (made by Aisin) are extremely reliable. Other than some fluid seepage which Subaru warrantied the entire transmission under 100k miles, they seem to be extremely durable. Also, Subaru is extending the warranty to 100K on most of them.

Personally, I wouldn't have any concerns running a Honda, Subaru, Toyota CVT to 150K miles and would trust it. Nissan CVTs still seem to be problematic. Which is strange, since Nissan and Subaru CVTs are made by JATCO.

The CVT would seem to be less complicated than say a 6 speed automatic.

My 2015 Forester has a 100k mile CVT warranty.

Change the CVT fulid at reasonable intervals.

For what it's worth, our 2014 Forester XT has 75K miles. It is equipped with a CVT.

We occasionally tow a 1K pound empty weight trailer for Home Depot runs. Usually just to purchase drywall, plywood etc. I once towed about 20 boxes to a shipping company that probably totalled to about 1750-2000 lbs. (that includes the weight of trailer) about 60 miles.

One CVT fluid drain and fill at 60K miles. Took about 8 quarts of fluid to get back up to proper level.

Virtus,

PM me if you want to know how I did the fluid drain and fill. It is not complicated at all. The key step is only to have the ability to read the CVT fluid temp. I used the exact procedure as indicated in the Subaru FSM.

These threads pop up often, and usually follow the same pattern. My father has one in his Subaru and we both hate it. What these threads tell me is there is a lot of doubt and uncertainty by many owners about the durability and longevity of these units or these threads wouldn't be popping up as often as they do.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The CVT would seem to be less complicated than say a 6 speed automatic.

My 2015 Forester has a 100k mile CVT warranty.

Change the CVT fulid at reasonable intervals.

Yeah but when a belt style CVT fails it's usually catastrophic and throws all the metal teeth in the belt all over the place where as with a standard automatic transmission it usually just starts slipping and can be rebuilt.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I did some research on these as my parents were VERY close to buying a 18 Forester CVT after seeing my 18 Forester 6M. My dad doesn't trust PDU driven AWD systems, but their '13 Escape made it to 80K miles with zero mechanical issues and seemingly would have easily gone another 20K without problems.

It seems the Subaru CVTs (made by Aisin) are extremely reliable. Other than some fluid seepage which Subaru warrantied the entire transmission under 100k miles, they seem to be extremely durable. Also, Subaru is extending the warranty to 100K on most of them.

Personally, I wouldn't have any concerns running a Honda, Subaru, Toyota CVT to 150K miles and would trust it. Nissan CVTs still seem to be problematic. Which is strange, since Nissan and Subaru CVTs are made by JATCO.

Seems not. The Subau CVT is made bt Fuji Heavy Industries and is exclusive to Subaru

Fuji Heavy Industries changed their name officially to Subaru earlier this year. So, Subaru makes their own cvt. Subaru is heavily involved with Boeing both on the defense side and on the 777x project.

2007 Nissan Maxima CVT that I previously had was not smooth and just kinda annoying to drive. It was well known the [censored] the bed but the one in my 07 is at 140k and still just fine. I sold it January 17. I did get a 17 Subby Outback that has a CVT. I have 21k on it now. It is smooth and quiet and I've adjusted to it pretty readily. I'm on the plus side if it's the RIGHT CVT.

Somebody mentioned the 100kmile warranty on Subaru CVTs, it's probably worth mentioning that this was extended after the fact for my 2014 FXT and my daughter's 2015 Impreza. Not sure if this was in response to consumers experiencing issues with their CVTs or it was done to reassure existing consumers and attract new ones after Subaru decided their cost in doing so would be minimal given the failure rates they were seeing.

I don't have any particular complaints about my FXT's CVT other than the suggestion I've seen that the slight lag off the line in this car is due a software protection against a sudden load on the tranny rather than an inherent turbo delay. Supposedly this lag is much less noticeable in a WRX with a very similar engine and (I think) the same transmission. Turning off the traction control and taking off in manual shifting mode (the shifter can be slapped over to auto mode on the fly to avoid the slow paddle shifters) help improve the "launch".

Our family has a 2011 Outback with CVT. Daughter's daily driver. Had fluid changed at 100K. Has 130K miles on it now, and expect to go past 150K easily. No issues, no problems, both of us like how it shifts.

Question should be with traditional Honda automatics - will they make it to 90K without lunching?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I didn't break mine yet and the one in the wife's Impreza crosstrek is fantastic. Locks the converter immediately in any gear and feels very low loss with the 2.0L.

Subaru's CVTs are the only one on the market that are chain-based instead of using Bosch/Von Doorne Tranmissie's variable pitch metal "belt" system. A majority of CVTs from Jatco and Honda use Bosch's belt system. I think Toyota might as well for the Corolla's CVT and for a future one - not to be confused with the e-CVT that's part of Hybrid Synergy Drive which uses 2 electric motor/generators and a planetary gear set to simulate a true CVT.

I think with semi-regular fluid changes, your Subie CVT should live a long life. Nissan and Mopar have the most issues - but there's more of those deployed, and a lot of them wind up in Altimas, Calibers and Compasses - a good bit of those end up as rental cars or Ubers which get thrashed on regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back