23 foot gator killed in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin sent me this. INSANE!!!!!
shocked.gif

SAFETY TOPIC FOR WEEKENDS

This picture was taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Conroe!
(For those of you who are not local, Lake Conroe is in Conroe , TX - just
north of Houston & south of Tyler)
That has to be a HUGE gator! There's a whole deer in its mouth!
Are you ready to go skiing on Lake Conroe?!
If you ski at the west end of the lake -- try not to fal! l!

-

This alligator was found between Athens and Palestine, Texas near a house. How would you like to meet this fella in the dark? Never let it be said that we don't grow them big in Texas .

Game wardens were forced to shoot the alligator- guess he wouldn' t cooperate...

Anita and Charlie Rogers could hear the bellowing in the night.

Their neighbors had been telling them that they had seen a mammoth alligator in the waterway that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations. "I didn't believe it," Charles Rogers said. Friday they realized the stories were, if anything, understated. ! ;Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens had to shoot the beast

Joe Goff, 6'5" tall, a game warden with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, walks past a 23-foot, 1-inch alligator that he shot and killed in their back yard.

-

[ August 06, 2006, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

It sure looks bigger than 13 foot. Is that not including the tail? I know nothing about these critters. All we have to deal with is mountain lions and bears. A neighbor told us the other day that they watched a mountain lion eat a deer in their yard!

Foreshortening due to wide angle lens and close distance to the gator make the gator appear larger in relationship to the background than it really is.

A couple decades ago, reading about the Siam/Burma area of operations during World War 2, the crocs reared their toothy heads and smiled: food!!!!!!!

The book was written by a British officer in that boring Brit-style but due to the dearth of info about SOME of the operations in that theater I trudged through it.

Wikipedia claims that the story is blown out of proportion BUT... it is not the definitive source of info. The Brit officer wrote of the screams and shots and roars of the reptiles all night long.

I suppose the truth lays somewhere between the book and this snippet taken from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ramree_Island

"...when the Marines outflanked a Japanese stronghold, the nine hundred defenders within it abandoned the base and marched to join a larger battalion of Japanese soldiers across the island. The route forced the Japanese to cross 16 kilometres of fetid mangrove swamps, and as they struggled through the thick forests the British forces encircled the area of the swampland. Trapped in deep mud-filled land, tropical diseases soon started afflicting the soldiers, but worse was the presence of huge numbers of scorpions, tropical mosquitoes and thousands of, on average, 4.6-metre-long (about 15 feet) saltwater crocodiles.

Repeated calls by the British for the Japanese to surrender were ignored: the Marines holding the perimeter shot any Japanese attempting to escape, while within the swampland hundreds of soldiers died over the course of several days for lack of food or drinking water. Some, including naturalist Bruce Wright, claimed that the crocodiles attacked and ate numerous soldiers:

"That night [of the 19 February 1945] was the most horrible that any member of the M.L. [marine launch] crews ever experienced. The scattered rifle shots in the pitch black swamp punctured by the screams of wounded men crushed in the jaws of huge reptiles, and the blurred worrying sound of spinning crocodiles made a cacophony of **** that has rarely been duplicated on earth. At dawn the vultures arrived to clean up what the crocodiles had left...Of about 1,000 Japanese soldiers that entered the swamps of Ramree, only about 20 were found alive."[2]
However, these claims are disputed, and interviews with senior residents of Ramree deny that crocodiles attacked the beleaguered Japanese soldiers. When the British eventually moved in on the swamp, they found that of the nine hundred troops that originally fled into the swamp, only around twenty seriously wounded and weakened Japanese soldiers were still alive. In all, about 500 Japanese soldiers escaped from Ramree despite the intense blockade instituted to stop them. If Wright's claim is true, however, the Ramree crocodile attacks would be the worst in recorded history.[1]"

I suppose no one will know the whole truth but I wouldn't want to be gator bait.

Ooooo Oooooo

The synapses fired and this emerged!!!!!

Around 10 years ago was reading the local newspaper. Buried within was a brief story from one of the African countries.

A couple female villagers washing their clothes at the local river had been grabbed and eaten by crocodiles.

A government worker was dispatched to instruct the villagers how to safely wash their clothes without becoming dinner.

Standing in front of the assembled villagers the "expert" was standing with his back to the river as he shared his in-depth knowledge.

Uh huh. You guessed right. Suddenly, a croc lunged out of the water, grabbed the guy, never seen again.

I wonder what the villagers thought?

Are there any mass e-mails that are true.
rolleyes.gif

Exactly why I'm glad I usually don't get those things.

I wa thinking that would have to be a giant deer if the gator was 23 feet long.
We had some pretty big ones inhabiting the cooling water canal near the CP&L nuke plant, but no 23footers.
BTW I hear you don't want to be on a ferry on Lake Victoria or parts of the Nile if said ferry sinks.

The gator with the deer was actually in a lake in South Carolina.
I think that if we leave the human animal out of the competition, the lowly mosquito has killed more people than most other animals combined.
But I may be mistaken.

http://www.answers.com/topic/jim-corbett-hunter

Jim Corbett (25 July 1875–19 April 1955) was a hunter and naturalist in India, famous for his writings on the hunting of man-eating tigers and leopards. The Corbett National Park in India is named in his memory.

He was born of English ancestory in the town of Naini Tal in the Kumaon foothills of the Himalayas. He was a hunter and fishing enthusiast in early life but took to big game photography later. Between 1907 and 1938, Corbett hunted down at least a dozen man-eaters. It is estimated that the combined total of men, women and children those twelve animals are thought to have killed before he stopped them was more than 1,500. His very first kill, the Champawat Tiger in Champawat, alone was responsible for 436 documented deaths. He also shot the Panar Leopard, which allegedly killed 400 after being injured by a poacher and thus unable to hunt normal prey. In later life, he resolved never again to shoot an animal except for food or if it were a dangerous beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back