Drilled/Slotted Rotors with which pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I'm going to get drilled/slotted rotors for the Journey as the brakes are coming due.

Having never used this type of rotor before I wanted to know from your experiences what the best pads to go with are. Keep in mind I operate this vehicle like a fleet vehicle and it's on the road daily for lots of miles.

I can get Fleet Rated Extreme Duty pads that are semi-metalic or I can get ceramic pads or I can get standards daily driver rated semi-metalic pads.

Thoughts?

Word of advice - DON'T.

I have them on my SHO - the Powerstop set. Mainly got them for a possible slight increase in the brakes, which in the 2010 model were simply adequate.

Never again - put them on at 75k and now at 120k They are noisy under hard braking, have a slight warp to them which nobody will machine out and all in all are not anywhere near as good as I hoped. Hoping to get them off in the Spring.

Thanks itguy08.
thumbsup2.gif

Nope, don't do slotted or drilled Stevie.
I usually get my rotors/pads off eBay.ca from well rated vendors. Bought the last set this spring, was anti-corrosion coated "normal" rotor with ceramic pads - for 4 wheels. $180 delivered.
My best price was for a 2005 Uplander - 4 rotors and matching pads - $132 out the door in Toronto local pickup. They still worked fine after 2 years and 45,000kms, and I disposed of the vehicle.

Do not bother with drilled or slotted rotors on the street. Will give no braking improvement and will just wear pads faster. Those kinds of rotors are meant to reduce brake fade by managing heat better than a solid rotor. You are not going to experience brake fade on the street in a minivan.

If you want better brakes, get a quality solid rotor like a centric blank and a quality high performance pad.

I was just after longer lasting rotors and I thought I would give the drilled/slotted a try only because I operate like a fleet vehicle and they are well used.

I guess I will go with a quality vented rotor that is corrosion treated and ceramic pads then...

Longer because of warping. The Journey has insanely large pads so they last forever. I'm approaching 100,000km (60K miles) on original front/rear pads in frequent stop/go driving and have about 30% left!
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Get high carbon rotors they last a lot longer. Napa's ultra premium rotors fit the bill.

Napa anything here is usually gangster expensive but I will check into high carbon. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

High carbon should be coated, right?

Also, I see no connection between drilled/slotted and rust … I have a set that’s a year old and a “Drivers Side” decal is still stuck to the rust free finish …

Rotors don't warp. That is a misnomer. What happens is that pad material is unevenly deposited around the rotor and creates non uniform run out.

To prevent this you need to properly bed the pads into the new rotors and not sit with the brakes engaged firmly after hard stops.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Rotors don't warp. That is a misnomer. What happens is that pad material is unevenly deposited around the rotor and creates non uniform run out.

To prevent this you need to properly bed the pads into the new rotors and not sit with the brakes engaged firmly after hard stops.

Interesting, but none of the pads I have purchased recently has had a bed-in procedure as part of the instructions (and neither do any of my factory service manuals). Do you think they should have this information?

I put the drilled and slotted rotors on my 2500HD Silverado a few years back because they were the only brand that had any kind of rust treatment on them, in that aspect they have held up very well. I have not seen any increase in braking power from them. I have used Wagner pads on the front and NAPA adaptive on the back (ceramic)

It was all about ICE in the break in thread … but some owners manuals mention break in for brakes …
(Avoid hard high speed stops for a bit … )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back