Anyone use diff oil to avoid winter oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On two of our vehicles, I use good syns that I pick up at the best prices (sales/rebates combo). Most recent OCI was Valvoline FSwML in one and older PUP in the other. However, I've chosen to pay full Walmart price (minus the rebate) for M1EP for this month's change...because I have to change oil outdoors...and both vehicles see very high mileage...both will definitely exceed 10k by early to mid-March. I enjoy changing the oil, but not outdoors in the middle of winter. Anyone else choose a different formula for this reason?

Poop, I freaked out thinking this thread was about using differential oil to avoid winter oil changes.
crazy.gif

Haha! Sorry about that...There wasn't enough space to spell out "different".

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
No I just do all my OCI's in Oct and May.

Oct 5w-30 May 10w-30

That would be nice, but our mileage would be too high for twice a year. It is what I do on my truck though. Although I stick with the same viscosity year-round.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
no i run the same weight year round but all my cars have a magnetic block heater installed. i can use sae 40 if i want to.

Yeah, I meant different as in extended drain formula, not different viscosity.

Jakewells--we were in Cave City area last month. The alpine slide area didn't look like it had changed much since we lived down that way 17 years ago
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Jakewells--we were in Cave City area last month. The alpine slide area didn't look like it had changed much since we lived down that way 17 years ago
smirk.gif

the only thing that changes here is the weather and the people. but a water park is getting built at the yogi bear / alpine slide area.

Your logic makes perfect sense. I did the same 2 years back but never put on as much mileage as I thought I would so last year I did a change in November to PP 0w20 and this year Im 5k miles in so far on Castrol Edge 5w20 Gold bottle with a Napa Gold filter since Spring. Im debating changing it before winter, but other part of me wants to leave it and run it til Spring. Im undecided, if we get a mild saturday or sunday, i might swap it out. I only have a driveway, no garage..

same here on the no garage situation got a shed though. i run 5w40 year round in my aspire it can get warm here in the summer and winters can either be mild or bitter cold. just hoping we don't have a winter like 2014-2015

Last edited:
I have done this on occasion.
My OCI come in about 8 months or so following
the OLM. So every third oil change is due in Dec-March
window. Either change in late fall early or I take it in
someplace for those winter changes.
Been on Val. syn. for several years now and M1 is going in
next month. Still early according to OLM.

California winter's suck, I'd dread having to wear pants and shoes in the winter to change my oil. Flip flops and shorts aren't feasible at times.

Last edited:
hey lukejo,

I used to do the summer oil then the winter oil, not now...

I use full synthetic oil OK in summer and winter!

I tested it by putting dino oil and synthetic in 2 small cups and then in the kitchen
freezer for 2 hr at -20F - the dino oil was like mollasees and the synthetic was still runny!

I was sold! 4 years on synthetic, wish I did it sooner!

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
On a serious note with these 0w40 euro oils u have the best of both worlds.

Speaking of which, how's the 0w40 in your Ford ecoboost? Any warranty concerns?

I'm about to go with Bypass filtration and I intend to time it so that the filter changes are done only in the nice weather. I'm having a tough time crawling on frozen cold ground with my bad back.

The same type/weight oil is always used, but....
I do a change early if Winter is looming. The drained oil goes into my "good Samaritan travel jug".
This is the oil I unceremoniously top off my in-laws' cars with when we go visiting.
They WILL NOT learn and they get all miffed when I ask.

And StevieC: Nothing like cold concrete therapy for a bad back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back