Pushing a truck to 520,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Quote:
A 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 was run 500,000 miles with oil changes every 20,000 miles. Then, the truck was put through a severe duty test, simulating 2,500 pounds of towing for the final 20,000 miles.

Marketing at it's finest. I bet the truck was run on a dyno inside a clean lab the whole time.

A guy I used to work with ran his 1999 Silverado 5.3 to 350K(miles) with regular M1 5-30 at 20-25K OCIs. When sold the engine ran great, but the third trans failure prompted him to sell the truck for $900.

Is that an engine oil or ATF cooler mounted to the front bumper with lines coming out the grille?

Originally Posted By: Run
Marketing at it's finest. I bet the truck was run on a dyno inside a clean lab the whole time.

They show it on a dyno in the video

Personally I wouldn't recommend pushing it that distance.
Driving it would be much easier.
coffee2.gif

Judging from the appearance of the truck it's obviously a base model most likely equipped with the 4.3L V6 and even with the addition of DI are extremely easy on oil. I'm willing to bet 520k in that engine with 20k OCI is possible with any oil meeting spec.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Engine wear would be greatly reduced by pushing it, though.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
coffee2.gif

You win!

Towing 2,500 lbs.? Come on. And 500K in a lab is only congruent with the 250-300 these engines frequently go in the real world.

Originally Posted By: tig1
350K(miles) with regular M1 5-30 at 20-25K OCIs.

Nice, but 10k miles OCI will do me.
Regular M1 5W30 is a nice drop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Judging from the appearance of the truck it's obviously a base model most likely equipped with the 4.3L V6 and even with the addition of DI are extremely easy on oil. I'm willing to bet 520k in that engine with 20k OCI is possible with any oil meeting spec.

If you watched the video it is a V8, more than likely the 5.3.

Yup - definitely a V8.

I would imagine the Ecotec3 V6 would be harder on oil than the V8 - it has an extra timing chain running a balance shaft.

Real test would be to send it out with a UPS driver. Lol
My Dad delivered for them for 19 years.
No idea ehat the oil they used or the oci was but I recall they would get 300k out of them. Lots of gravel roads and idle and stop and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back