Walmart is starting to discourage the use of cash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are dollars "official" currency?? $5, $10,$20, $50, $100 bills are they "official" ?? I guess so. Strange how I can go to a Coinstar and get $44 Dollars back in 2 $20 bills and 4 $1 bills. I sure hope that the two $20 bills are real currency.

Maybe a business has the "right" to refuse pennies as payment for a debt. Maybe the business should have the right to force the debtor to "work" off their debt to said business. Don't know how well that would go over with the general public.

Want to watch a rough situation in a self check out line in a grocery store... Watch anyone and I mean anyone of any age try to figure out to check out/ be charged for fresh produce. They are GOING TO STRUGGLE an overwhelming majority of the time. It's a real hoot nanny watching people try to figure out what to do. "There's no bar code... Ohh gosh what will I ever do?? How can I possibly figure this out?? It's too much"... Etc etc.. be prepared to be camped out awhile in that circumstance.

My Chase bank card is offering a 5% rebate for Wal-Mart purchase this month. Why would I pay cash?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Want to watch a rough situation in a self check out line in a grocery store... Watch anyone and I mean anyone of any age try to figure out to check out/ be charged for fresh produce. They are GOING TO STRUGGLE an overwhelming majority of the time. It's a real hoot nanny watching people try to figure out what to do. "There's no bar code... Ohh gosh what will I ever do?? How can I possibly figure this out?? It's too much"... Etc etc.. be prepared to be camped out awhile in that circumstance.

I put the bag of produce on the scale, push the button that says "Look Up Item" and then press the button that says "Roma Tomatoes." Works for me.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They would not accept cash and she was showing them the "For all debts public and private" on the currency basically calling them out for not taking cash.

The argument is though that you don't have a debt. She didn't buy the product on credit and then attempt to pay the debt with cash.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, though, cash handing is a major nightmare for a lot of businesses, and even the banks don't want it. Yes, debit and credit cards incur merchant fees, but you should see what certain financial institutions here charge for handling cash. At some places, it's actually more than what the credit processors charge.

Well for a strong majority of people Merk
... They can't manage it at all. It just to taxing on them to figure it out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Out of 10 self checkout registers, only 1 takes cash at any given time.

The message is loud and clear: If you use cash, you're a square.
grin2.gif

I think it is just you. No issues here.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Was at Walmart yesterday and they had the Salvation army kettle bell ring outside. I though they must be takings hit with so few using cash nowadays.

They have card readers next to their buckets now. I’ve seen them.

Well for a strong majority of people Merk
... They can't manage it at all. It just to taxing on them to figure it out
smile.gif

And I happen to be a guy that doesn't know how to play video games or operate a cellphone.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Federal Reserve notes are only required to be legally accepted if you incur a DEBT such as dining at a restaurant... they have to break that $100 bill you present at the end of the night. Drive on a tollway. Pay taxes. The taxes are a big deal! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gresham%27s_law

Gresham‘s Law isn’t a legal authority, it’s an economic principle. In the U.S., private businesses are free to set their own policies with regard to payment for product, services, debt, etc.

Quote:
Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Cash and check transactions are going away, whether or not old folks are scared of the idea.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Was at Walmart yesterday and they had the Salvation army kettle bell ring outside. I though they must be takings hit with so few using cash nowadays.

I know someone that had an idea what to do with their bags of change. They were going to put the change in the Salvation army kettle.

You make a good point. Most people I know use credit these days.

I put the bag of produce on the scale, push the button that says "Look Up Item" and then press the button that says "Roma Tomatoes." Works for me.
21.gif

There's an even easier way. Most produce will have a sticker with a 4 digit PLU code. You just place the item on the scale and key in that code.

I didn't know the "Key In Item's Code" button works with the scale. Usually they want a quantity number after you key in the code. I'll try it next time.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I always get into arguments with the lady inside of the self-checkout machine.
No, there is not an unexpected item in the bagging area. This item was fully expected. I just scanned it.
No, I do not want to bag this item. It's a 30-pound bag of dog food.
Lady, I do not need to wait for assistance. I can take care of this, myself if you would stop being so difficult.

Do we have the same cashier!? I have those arguments too.

But it's still better than having to go through a checkout

"Unexpected item in the bagging area. Remove this item before continuing."

That usually means I have to move something around on the scale to make the machine happy.
grin.gif

Pretty sure the title of this thread was meant to be a catalyst and judging my the number of posts, Merk accomplished what he wanted.
ANYWAY, I normally don't use the self-checkout area at Wally World, but I unexpectedly went into my local WM store at 10:00 AM on Black Friday, thanks to a co-worker who just HAD to go in there on that day. I got some memory sticks for $5/each, paid for them at a self-checkout register WITH CASH and was out of there in under 5 minutes. I think Wally World LOVES it when you pay with cash. They don't have to give a cut to the credit cards companies with a cash transaction.
However, I do remember an instance when my mom paid for my breakfast at McDonalds after I took her to an early morning doctors appointment. She paid with a $100 bill and we didn't get any change back from them until we were done eating, even though I had to remind them about it three times. (Something about their safe was a a super-long time delay and they didn't have a manager working. I thought only K-Mart had their stores open and a non-existent store manager)

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

grin2.gif

Cash is still the preferred currency when buying soft/crack, dope/tar/china, weed/marijuana, malt liquor.. .

Would that be for Old English brand malt liquor? It's the preferred drink in the ghettos of Philadelphia

I didn't know the "Key In Item's Code" button works with the scale. Usually they want a quantity number after you key in the code. I'll try it next time.

It depends on the item. If the item is sold by weight, it takes the weight and charges you accordingly. If the item is sold by quantity, it will ask you to enter the quantity.

grin2.gif

My guess is usage of self checkout + cash was lowest. Some cash only types head to the cigarettes isle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back