3 Million Mile Volvo Engine Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the coolest cars Volvo ever made. You know it's been 2-3 years since Castrol reduced the zinc content in its GTX conventional oil. How would this P1800 do in 2.7 million miles with lower zinc levels?

Yup... Wish I was around then.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
One of the coolest cars Volvo ever made. You know it's been 2-3 years since Castrol reduced the zinc content in its GTX conventional oil. How would this P1800 do in 2.7 million miles with lower zinc levels?

have you checked the VOA of GTX conventional oil?

maybe they lower the zinc and substitute the lack of it by adding Molybdenum and Boron, correct me if i am wrong.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Me either.
thumbsup2.gif

But why?

Over priced for what performance you get. JMO that there are better conventional oils on the market than GTX for the price.

Quote:

By 1960, the name of the motor oil had all but eclipsed that of the company’s larger-than-life founder, and so ‘CC Wakefield& Company’ became, simply, Castrol Ltd. Meanwhile, the company’s researchers delved ever deeper into the complexities of engine lubrication and a state-of-the-art research facility opened in Bracknell, England. Then in 1966, The Burmah Oil Company bought Castrol.

That's all it says on their site: https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/about-us/history.html

In 1971 those cars were hard to find to buy. A friend of mine's father bought one for his graduation from college. He had to go to NY to get it. They were cool cars, not very fast but cool. We got his up to 100 one night.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
The video is just an advertisement for Castrol GTX.

Yup, but still shows the excellent engineering of Volvo at the time.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Over priced for what performance you get. JMO that there are better conventional oils on the market than GTX for the price.

Such as ______________________________ ?

Valvoline White Bottle, Valvoline MaxLife, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, Mobil 5000. Usually less expensive and better. I.M.O. <= Important!

Valvoline White Bottle ? Better than GTX ? Seriously ?
shocked2.gif

I've heard people say VWB has a weak add pack and they don't trust the oil to protect their engine.

In 1973 a friend and I drive a P1800 that had a rally prepped engine and suspension including 5 point belts on a 8 week 8k mile round trip from the Midwest to skiing the Rockies, then up and down the West Coast, including south of Ensenada,Mexico and then circuitously back home. Its top speed (in Nevada with no speed limits) at the time was aprox 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back