Oil pan gasket and timing cover gasket overlap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep has a ~3 year old Fel-Pro oil pan gasket . I also bought this Fel-Pro timing chain cover gasket set.

The timing chain cover gasket set came with a black gasket that appears to match the front oil pan holes. If you look at the oil pan gasket on the thicker side, it also has those 4 holes.

Should the two be stacked on top of each other? It just had the oil pan gasket there before..
21.gif

Last edited:
I have never done a Jeep 4.0.

Typically when that set up is provided you are supposed to cut the front section of the oil pan gasket off (unless it is already separate) and replace it with the new gasket.

If your oil pan gasket is fairly new you may be able to get the timing cover off without damaging the oil pan gasket and just reuse it.

One gasket layer only. If its a paper/fiber style you cut the old pan gasket front off with a razor, put a film of high tack on the bottom of the new cover gasket, get it in place and seal the seam with Honda bond oil resistant silicone (there are other brands I just prefer this one) sealer or hylomar just before installing the cover.
On plastic frame silicone bead gaskets I just loosen the pan and drop it an 1/8" or so and button it up again after the cover is in place.

I don't quite remember why - whether it was related to the timing cover or to doing the chain itself, but the front oil pan bolts have to come off to do a cam chain on a 4.0.

I should have mentioned I'm reassembling everything.

The oil pan gasket looks new aside from being oily.

If its in good shape clean it carefully with brake cleaner and put a thin coat of high tack or hylomar on it just before you put it together.

Not the gasket he installed, its a rubber gasket with a steel core. Its totally acceptable to reuse this type doing this job.
Like I said you only trim fiber. paper or cork gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back