Anyone live in a condo or apartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at one and I'm curious as to how much noise you can make. If I start singing are the neighbors going to hear?

Honestly, it depends on the apartment. I've lived in apartments that have paper thin walls and no one had any secrets, and I've lived in apartments that did a really good job of mitigating sounds. I currently live in one that is pretty good, all things considered. I don't hear much of anything unless it's my neighbor above me stomping around like a dumb elephant.

I previously owned a townhome zoned as a condo (shared walls) built in 2005. Never heard the neighbors at all and they said they never heard me either even when playing loud music or instruments and using my air tools.

I lived in a really old 1960's vintage apartment and you could murder someone and no one would know...
45.gif

I've lived in numerous apartments where they can absolutely hear you.

And if you have neighbors living above you, you can absolutely hear them when they stomp harder... if they have small kids that jump around, you will be annoyed.

Depends on the construction of the building and how loud you are.

I own some older wooden buildings and people on the 2nd floor could hear people on the 3rd floor talking. They were friends at one point, but one day the 2nd floor heard the 3rd floor people talking about the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor lady said she had to confront them about it and long story short, they were no longer friends. My conclusion is that if you hear someone talking about you, you don't have to confront them about it.

When I was stationed at Miramar San Diego, I had an upstairs apartment out in town. The Vietnamese college students down below were always complaining about me dropping my dumbbells on the floor. After me very angrily banging on their door and shouting a flurry of expletives at them about me being born in this country and them not having the right to complain about what I do, they never bothered me again.

All the apts built in the 70s or later with wood construction seem to transmit noise between units quite well.. because there's nothing there to stop it!

But any of these newer luxury units made with concrete and steel are definitely better... but never doubt the odds that the people living above you will purchase a down-firing subwoofer for their TV and drive you bonkers.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I lived in a really old 1960's vintage apartment and you could murder someone and no one would know...
45.gif

Thats much better than hearing a couple trying to conceive a child...

I grew up in an upstairs apartment. Couldn't hear the other neighbors but the people below us did comment how they never heard us walking around unlike other people that lived there.

Don’t live there but own a condo ~ we actually offered slightly above asking price since it was single story rock & mortar, very first unit of 22, and only connected by the width of one bedroom … and that wall is stone …
Very quiet …

Perhaps it's just the neighbors I've had, but it seems that at my apartment, I can't hear the people next door but I can hear the people above and below. Used to wake up to the upstairs neighbors stomping and door slamming before they moved out. Also used to have neighbors below that would engage in consensual activities regularly at 3 am. Adjoining walls don't seem to have the same issues, no matter who the neighbor has been, and voices nearly have to be at full scream to be heard from any direction. Apartment building was built in the '80s, used to be used as condos.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: StevieC
45.gif

Thats much better than hearing a couple trying to conceive a child...

For sure... Unless you like to embarrass them and try to make more noise than them.
lol.gif

As others have said, it depends.

There are a lot of condos around my parents' house that were built using Flexicore (prefab concrete) panels for floors and the units are relatively quiet. I looked at another condo that was stick built and the model was ground-floor with someone living above the model. While I was there they dragged something across the kitchen floor and it sounded like the building was going to collapse so that killed the sale instantly; I didn't want to live under someone making noise all the time and I didn't want to have to tip-toe around my unit if I was upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back