Pennzoil Plat 5w-30 GTL on a '98 Corolla 1zzfe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it's OK but why would you want to waste such good oil in a 19 year old oil burner?
In San Diego I'd be using the cheapest 10w30 I could find in that car...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm sure it's OK but why would you want to waste such good oil in a 19 year old oil burner?

+1 ... There were lots of them running around up here with 20w50 in them to help keep oil consumption down. Even in the winter.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm

Yes exactly or even a 15W40. Any SN oil will be fine, but I would go thicker mineral rather than spend $ on a full synthetic.

If you got Pennzoil GTL 5w30 on sale for $2/qt or less - then use it. It is a cheaper alternative than anything listed above. But if you are paying full price for the oil - then you are much better off going with Pennzoil HM 5w30. How much oil does it burn? 1qt/1000 miles? 1qt/5000 miles? More or less? If it burns more than 1qt/1000 miles - then go with Valvoline Maxlife 15w40 from Wal-Mart. Consumption will reduce through higher viscosity and tons of High Mileage additives.
Valvoline Maxlife 15w40 is the best oil for severe oil burners.

Originally Posted By: StockSDTacoma
I was under the impression that the GTL would somehow clean pistons and slow the consumption

If the oil rings are stuck from deposits and that is the source of the consumption then this is possible.

Have you checked the PCV valve recently? Any leaks? HM oil and higher viscosity will help with oil getting past the valve guides.

A can of BG109 or kreen before an oil change would help the rings. Then I'd run the MaxLife 15w-40 with a Fram tough guard

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Valvoline Maxlife 15w40 is the best oil for severe oil burners.

Valvoline MaxLife comes in 15W-40 ?

It depends on WHY the oil is burning. Some vintages of the 1.8L burn because the pinholes are clogged and thicker oils actually INCREASE consumption. I'd try the PP 5W-30 to see if it helps!

I second looking into the PCV valve.
Just find a cheap full synthetic. I have not paid full price for oil in years. Our 1ZZ perhaps is one of the few with no to very little oil consumption. The PCV valve is fairly new, and enjoys a diet of M1 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back