Elf HTX840 0w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very low ZDDP for a racing oil. Every VOA/UOA of a racing oil I've ever seen had high ZDDP (around 2,000 ppm or so of P).
This stuff could be an SN oil it's P is so low!
Guessing they must be using POE or polymer esters to get some AW benefit, and the high moly certainly saves the day for friction and AW functions of course.

Big dose of moly to make up for the low ZDDP. Some of the moly formulations are better than basic ZDDP ... Everyone is looking to keep EPA/CARB happy while still making stout oils.

I dunno if I'd run a radical flat tappet cam with this if the valve spring pressures were high. But looks good to me for a roller motor
laugh.gif

Thank you for the VOA. I was wondering why this oil is so expensive, even here where it’s blended. Guess it’s using some super exotic base oils...that, or moly is expensive 😂

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Reversible HTHS viscosity?
Interesting. If only it wasn’t so expensive...

What car do you plan to use it in?

2016 STI with forged pistons, crank, rods, and upgraded bearings. Car is flex fuel with no catalytic converters.

Found it cheap on Amazon. When price dropped down to $80 I went ahead and bought it. Usually goes for more than $120/jug.

No reason to buy ELF when there is the excellent Castrol Edge 0w40, which has MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. qualifications. One tough oil for cheap.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Otherwise simply use Motul 300V 0W40
smile.gif

But the Elf has probably something more robust as a base oil.

I use Motul 300V 5w40 on my weekend track/street/race car.

I use 300V 5W40 in my Barchetta too. Seem to rev better than previous Motul 8100 5W40, but it might be psychological, fresh oil, etc.

The Elf is marketed as a race oil, contrary to the Motul which is marketed as a...we don't know really, but said to be usable in a street car. The add pack of the Elf is fairly standard (except the huge dose of Moly), but it's not told to be ok for diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back