H-E-B gas quality?

I know gas is all practically the same except for the additives each company uses (some better than others). I was just wondering how good H-E-B gas is and if anyone knows what kind of additives they put in? Thanks.

It's a fine non-Top Tier offering, much like Sam's Club. Typically lots of traffic at HEB gas stations to ensure inventory turnover, much like Sam's Club.

Some HEB fuel pumps have the option of injecting additional additives in your fuel purchase, for an additional cost. One alternative to buying bottles of Techron, Gumout, etc. products.

It's exactly the same fuel as Valero... I see the same trucks servicing both.

However, Valero is "Top Tier", so there's that.
I don't think HEB pays for more additives.

Murphy's USA used to to have the awful, annoying "Additech" feature,
but I notice all their NEW pumps have gone away from that.

I don't think many people bought it.

Texas based grocery chain … more on Wiki but the Butt family are billionaires with the growth of the chain … they are great stores and great with chairity … watched a huge H-E-B kitchen and many refers convoy come through after Harvey …

I like HEB. you can get warren oil produced syn blend around $2.75 a quart year round in their home GTC brand. There was a gas panic down here after Harvey and HEB let all their octanes go for regular price to let the locals have it all.
Their gasoline is similar quality to Walmart in my opinion but when Walmart was doing that 10 cents a gallon discount if you used a gift card HEB came out with 11 cents a gallon with gift card. Lol

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
What's HEB ...

The only grocery store I have experienced where the "store brand" is better quality and flavor than any "national brand".

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
when Walmart was doing that 10 cents a gallon discount if you used a gift card HEB came out with 11 cents a gallon with gift card. Lol

I bought several hundreds (i'm sure it was closer to 1000's) of gallons of gasoline under that program.

One of the first things I instantly missed when I left Texas 17 years ago was HEB. Meat & produce departments in particular. Regular access to HEB again was but one of the things I celebrated returning to live in Texas last year.

However, it's a bit disappointing they've eliminated their competition in San Antonio & Corpus Christi anyway. Competition is a good thing for the consumer.

Gone are independent family grocers like were under IGA umbrella as well as large chains like Kroger. Remaining standard grocery competition is Super Walmart & Super Target, with of course stores like Whole Foods around now. But HEB launched their own competition to Whole Foods back in the 90's, called Central Market, that used to be THE spot to capitalize on monthly loss leaders at their meat & seafood counters.

Last edited:
Interesting enough when I filled my other car ('07 Honda Accord coupe 4cyl) with HEB gas it got better gas mileage than what I would fill in North Carolina at Shell or BP. I don't know what kind of gas or additives they use in Fayetteville, NC but my gas mileage has jumped up to a good margin since I've moved back to Texas.

I wish HEB would extend their reach into north TX. Since we moved here we really miss shopping at their stores. Since all of their products are top shelf I would have no problem at all buying their gasoline.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I wish HEB would extend their reach into north TX. Since we moved here we really miss shopping at their stores. Since all of their products are top shelf I would have no problem at all buying their gasoline.

What’s the closest H-E-B to you?

I just filled up HEB gas in my other car last week with a Seafoam fill for my oil change maintenance intervals. Either the Seafoam did something or HEB gas quality is good because I got a few more miles than normal. I don't have an accurate reading but I'm gong based on the needle. Usually with the gas in North Carolina I would get about 38-40 miles at 3/4 full. I got about 52 miles this time. It's not accurate but I did the same fill w/out Seafoam in the other car and saw a jump in mpg.

Either that Texas gas is just way better.

Costco Gas is more worthwhile than H.E.B. It's always been Top Tier while H.E.B.'s isn't. The annual savings in gas prices typically make up a good chunk of the membership cost alone. I'll trust the detergent package that Costco sells to thwart fuel system problems in my old clunkers later on.

Back