Overtime at work, how it works at your job ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overtime at work, how it works at your job ?

We are always busy so boss allows 10 hours OT each week without any approvals, just send her an email stating your need OT for meeting your daily / weekly metrics. Each employee manages their own Kronos timecard so they edit each week accordingly.

As long as you can justify your OT workload.... the boss doesn't mind or question it.

I'm a sales guy on the road and I make my own schedule. I flex time from one week into the next. Sometimes 60 hours in a week others 20 so it balanced out to 40ish. Boss doesn't care because there are results being achieved.

I like it better this way.

Management likes to avoid it, but I've always had 1000s of hours of it per year. Plant goes down, you stay until it's stable or you worked 16hrs and have to go home. Vacation coverage, sick coverage, guys on military leave, sticking around to help with maintenance.. It never ends. It's difficult for me to live without it actually.

We get 1.5 times, either time or pay for overtime, so you do need approval first. I typically don't do much overtime unless we have some project that was sprung on us at the last minute. We can flex hours in the week if needed as well without a hassle though which is nice.

What about scheduled Holidays? 2.5x pay for us. But again, this is for a process that never stops (for long).

There are managers in retail chain stores that get a bonus based on keeping hours below the level that triggers benefits and that includes avoiding overtime.

Many years ago I was paid as a contract programmer to analyze work hours for the purpose of determining bonus payments.

One of the stores constantly outperformed all the other stores in every manner one would use to evaluate employee performance and the overall cost of labor. Payroll was always the biggest expense in running the business. The manager here made sure everyone worked full weeks, got benefits and in meetings with employees always discussed the idea of working overtime or expanding the staff and cross-training to allow employees to work overtime in different job assignments. It was apparent that a slight boost in attitude and job satisfaction has a lot of benefits when it comes to on the job performance and efficiency. With all this going for the manager he was disciplined for violating company procedures and guidelines after the program was installed. He left and I never did find out how he did. A lot of the employees soon followed. No good deed goes unpunished.

One form of management in some environments amounts to nothing more than blindly enforcing rules. This manager should have been promoted but the management above him followed the rules.

Originally Posted By: JTK
What about scheduled Holidays? 2.5x pay for us. But again, this is for a process that never stops (for long).

We get $300 a week for 'On Call' pay and for scheduled holidays it's an automatic 8 hours. Double time if you have to be there. Some like the OT and others don't.... but everyone is responsible for their own account(s).

Since I'm a FT Teamster, I get time and a half if I work any time before or after my scheduled shift. I get it even if I didn't work 40 hours that week. I rarely get OT, but I always get my hours. The UPS parcel drivers are making out big on OT at my hub. I make more per hour, they make more per year.

Last edited:
anything over 8 hours daily, or 40 for the week is time and a half.
holiday is time and a half. (if you've got more than a year in, you get a bonus days pay* on holiday weeks, whether you work the holiday or not.)
over time on a holiday you ask? Time and a half.
never anything over 1.5x regular pay.

* bonus days pay - your hourly rate times your fringe hours(fringe basically an average of how many hours you work per day for the previous year)

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The manager here made sure everyone worked full weeks, got benefits....It was apparent that a slight boost in attitude and job satisfaction has a lot of benefits when it comes to on the job performance and efficiency. With all this going for the manager he was disciplined for violating company procedures and guidelines

I see this happen over and over and over and over........

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back