Tip Movers?

I have a major professional moving company (United) at my NJ house now, packing the contents for a move to Virginia. Is it customary to tip the moving crew (five guys). There will likely be a different crew making the delivery, and of course I will not know how well they did until everything is unpacked in Virginia.

Tom, Interesting question as we are starting to investigate companies to move us from CT to North Carolina. I would not be inclined to tip the movers as your contract is with a large national moving company. But pizzas at lunch time might be a nice gesture. But, I could completely change my mind depending on our experience.

Sam

When my parents moved a long distance but within the same province they told the movers while loading. (Same people unloading at the other end) that if they were careful and took extra care there would be a generous tip at the end and showed them the cash but hung onto it.

It was the best service they received and all it cost was $50 per guy moving them ($200 total). You thought that you had given them a gold bar or something.

Tips can go a long way to an otherwise hard and thankless job.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
When my parents moved a long distance but within the same province they told the movers while loading. (Same people unloading at the other end) that if they were careful and took extra care there would be a generous tip at the end and showed them the cash but hung onto it.

It was the best service they received and all it cost was $50 per guy moving them ($200 total). You thought that you had given them a gold bar or something.

Tips can go a long way to an otherwise hard and thankless job.

Good point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
People should be tipped if they provide quality service, it should not be assumed.

^^^This.

I should add as well... We always make a point of tipping where it makes sense to and will do other things like buy contractors lunch etc. when having major work done. We have found that it goes a long way. Especially is you need warranty work or something in the future. Just FWIW.

People should be tipped if they provide quality service, it should not be assumed.

No it should be assumed. Tipping is Bovine Scat 50% of the time. People now days expect a 20% tip for doing their job not for service above and beyond. Give me extraordinary service and you will receive a tip. Just do your job and you'll be lucky to see any tip. Things were different when people made minimum wage. Lots of people today are on their way or moving to the new $15 minimum. They already have their tip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
No! Don`t tip them , leave them standing up. :)

Especially cows.
crackmeup2.gif

Early this am I was having breakfast and overheard a waitresses talking to the cook about boss cutting hours and how much they made per hour and how much the last check was. It was shockingly pitiful …

There were just two of us in the whole restaurant … I left about a 30% tip …

Originally Posted By: MCompact

^^^This.

Yep. That's why I always tip good for good service.

This, regardless of profession.

Originally Posted By: JTK
For a whole house move with 4-6 guys, I tip them $20/person if they're doing their job.

That's what I tipped 15 years ago. I assume it's still the going rate.

Thanks all for your input. I am a heavy tipper for waitresses, bar maids and others who make no real wages, but wasn't sure for decently paid professionals. In any case I bought them coffee, offered pizza (they declined) and tipped them $20 each, and $40 for the lead man who cut me some breaks on some unscheduled items and will be on the delivery end.

Originally Posted By: Californiabob
always tip and always provide food to their liking (ask: pizza, burgers, sandwiches, tacos)

I always offer food and drink. A cash tip is job and job quality dependent.

Heck yeah tip your movers. And you guys are cheapskates, $50-100/man is more appropriate. These guys don't have steady work as they're busy on the 1st and 31st of the month when leases start and end. But they're privy to the most intimate part of your life, what's inside your house.

Same reason why you tip your doorman if you live in a high-rise in Manhattan.

Back