Silicone spray on new filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda OEM filters seem to be treated with some kind of tack/oil in the filter media and catch dirt much better than aftermarket. At least in my wife's Accord in my signature and my parents' 2003 Accord V6; cost a little more than aftermarket but seem to do a better job...throttle bodies stay cleaner longer as well.

There is very little oil applied, so I think the MAF would be fine, no?

Aside from the incorrect data that video likely contained (NOGO on silicone).....
.....that video would've been better if it was 20 seconds long.....NOT 3:36.

Just another repetitive, almost retarded video.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Aside from the incorrect data that video likely contained (NOGO on silicone).....

Instead of just calling it retarded, can you please let me know why Si is a no go? What about using a light coat of the K&N oil on a paper filter? Seems like a good idea. The K&N oil contains: Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic.

I said it's LIKELY incorrect due to repeated warnings-over years from many people-against using silicone anywhere near the intake.

The narrator is highly repetitive and spends his time AND THE VIEWERS' flopping the old filters around over and over...it's garbage.

Knee-jerk reaction to my use of the word "almost retarded", perhaps? The willingness of people to post long winded, blathering, unedited videos is one of the most infuriating things to deal with.

Go back and listen to the words he says. It's the verbal equivalent of watching clothes in a dryer.

Most paper elements are not the type of fiber that can stand up to being oiled, even lightly. Seems like it would also open the fibres up after a while and let in bigger particles.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: Kira

Instead of just calling it retarded, can you please let me know why Si is a no go? What about using a light coat of the K&N oil on a paper filter? Seems like a good idea. The K&N oil contains: Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic.

Get an open mesh nylon or acrylate foam slice and put it in front of your paper filter. You can oil that a tiny bit. Hot wire or TF air meter DONT LIKE TO GET OILY. My stupid OEM nissan filter (polyester fibre?) was oiled to the teeth from the factory and it trashed my MAF on my rogue. took me a while to sort that out.

Just install an OEM air filter and fasten the case. Way too much banging the old head on something as simple as an air filter. Put the new element in and forget about it.

Silicon compounds in the exhaust stream can coat the O2 sensor's active surface, forming a barrier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back