small shower needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a fairly small cubbyhole where I would like to put a bathroom. I look at IKEA and a fake? Chinese Ikea style vanity with tiny sink, but still searching for the smallest shower stall I can get. Any pointers? This is for a house, not a boat. Thinking possibly AirNB room and small shower. Thoughts? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Have a fairly small cubbyhole where I would like to put a bathroom. I look at IKEA and a fake? Chinese Ikea style vanity with tiny sink, but still searching for the smallest shower stall I can get. Any pointers? This is for a house, not a boat. Thinking possibly AirNB room and small shower. Thoughts? Thanks!

I bought a shower kit from Home depot, 36" x 36" .... will that work?

I've been looking at that...fairly cheap, I think a 32x32 version also, with plastic faucets? trying to see whats out there. Do you like yours?

Retired Master Plumber picked mine up from local plumbing supply. It is 31.5 x 31.5. Worked OK for 20+ years. Plastic handles broke and had to replace with generic ones with the set screw.

The shower when I was a kid was a slab of concrete, a drain, and a curtain in an unheated/drafty basement. Winter showers were fun.

I have a 32 x 32 I bought from Lowes. It's a corner unit with plastic wall boards glued onto the sheet-rock behind it. Plastic floor pan and glass doors. It's about 5 years old and it has been used daily and it has 0 issues.

Looks something like this.

showerkit-38himalaya-1.jpg

"...fairly small..." Talk about going to the carpet store without the measurements!

It might be pricey (the cutesy way of saying expensive) but these new slab floor, slab sided and cut-to-size glass door shower units might get you what you want and it would fit to the room you have.

Heck, they put these things IN hotel rooms. I've seen 'em.

I put one in my utility room as a coming from the pool or dirty day in the garden shower … (and transmission day?)

As far as pointers? … I put Hardiebacker between the Sheetrock and shower …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
I put one in my utility room as a coming from the pool or dirty day in the garden shower … (and transmission day?)

As far as pointers? … I put Hardiebacker between the Sheetrock and shower …
Also adding a few coats of red guard on the hardy board will virtually eliminate any chance of water getting into the sheetrock or wood.

A neo-angle kit like the one above or have a custom tiled one made for you. I went through something similar in our previous home. A good tile guy I trust built us a walk-in tiled shower for the same cost as a good neo-angle kit.

I wouldn’t leave the wallboard behind any shower - you basically sacrifice 3/8”+ of the room for no benefit. Remove and install Hardyboard and waterproof if tiling. If installing a kit, I defer to the instructions but putting insulation in the wall and in the gaps would definitely help with the noise...

I renovated the master shower in the old house and used the Schluter Kerdi system over the Hardy board. Going to the joists allowed insulation to cut down on noise to the bedroom next door and shower nooks on the front and back of the shower.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite

I renovated the master shower in the old house and used the Schluter Kerdi system over the Hardy board.

That is some seriously nice looking stuff, that kerdi system. I don't know of any tile guys that use it though. I assume it's so they can build you another shower in 12yrs. lol

I've been looking at that...fairly cheap, I think a 32x32 version also, with plastic faucets? trying to see whats out there. Do you like yours?

The plastic faucets work fine.

It's in a "Cabin" on some land where I am doing improvements and hope to build a home on soon.

I'm sure it'll last 20 years at the rate I use it.

I am not familiar with Hardieboard or Red Guard. Is this a formica type board?

Hardieboard is a concrete fiber board that is water and rot resistant. Red guard is a roll on coating that further waterproofs the hardieboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back