CV axle seal...part 3? Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple weeks ago I replaced the driver's side CV axle seal on my Liberty. Leaked again. Figured out it was because I didn't pack the back of it with grease and the metal "rubber band" thing got deformed and I also stupidly pounded on the inner lip. Took it back out, put a new seal in and back the whole back of it, the seal around the CV shaft and then the part that touches the diff with this stuff...basically anything rubbery I coated with this.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lbg-1...wgaAietEALw_wcB

Drove it for about a week, no leaks. Perfect! Checked it today and there was a blue drip. Ugh. Felt waxy. I'm assuming it's just the excess assembly lube that was outside the seal working itself out? I figure that stuff has a low melting point so it's not permanent.

Think I screwed up again?

The axle shaft that goes through the seal could be scored and allowing fluid to leak, even with a new seal.

I have a car that is like this. I would replace the seal and it kept leaking because the CV shaft was scored.

I resorted to just topping up the trans fluid at oil changes, but recently noticed the axle was starting to leak from the boot, so I finally ordered new axles and seals to go along with them.

Last edited:
The CV shaft is 6 months old (no damage on it, looks/feels new) and the diff isn't scratched/marred at all. There's no play in the CV at all.

Last edited:
I just don't understand how it can be fine for a week/100-150 miles (whereas the first time I replaced it, it leaked instantly upon driving it).

That stuff is designed to melt into the transmission fluid, its harmless and doing pretty much what its supposed to. I doubt you have an issue.

Here's a pic of the seal, I colored in the areas I put the grease on. I put it all around the outer part but didn't shade the whole thing so I didn't clutter up the pic too much.

I guess my thinking is that grease might take a while to melt. Since a diff probably doesn't get all that warm (at least doing shorter trips and in cooler weather), I'm thinking it might be a while before it all comes out. I'm just concerned what I'm seeing come out is from inside, but I guess there's no real way of knowing that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back