Shell Rotella T6 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new T6 5W-30 MV (multivehicle) is expected to be available starting in October at retailers such as NAPA, O’Reilly’s and Wal-Mart.

It's the new CK-4 spec. Being a 5w-30, low phos, I wonder how close it would be to a C3?

I'm not sure , but I have been running rotella 10w30 T5 in the truck (2012)e KW with a PACCAR diesel midwest and east coast with good results , I have run the T_6 10W40 in my bike with no problems,,I guess a trial in my daily driver is in order here with a UOA at the change

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
The Multi-Vehicle formulation of T6 is low Phos. IMO they should have called it something else instead of now having two variants of T6.

Delvac, Chevron, and Castrol have their E6 varieties as part of their main lines (Delvac 1, Chevron LE, and Vection or Elixion depending upon location). Shell is marketing it, sort of, as an oil for everything, and the linked article even pushes that more. Nonetheless, these lubricants have a mile of builder approvals.

Every company markets theirs a little differently. The Castrol version doesn't have any SM or SN on the bottle, despite its low phosphorus.

With respect to how close to a C3 this is, note that SA off this lube is around 1.0, and that applies to all the main E6 lubricants.

My thought was that two oils...both marketed as "T-6" but with different formulations was bad. For example, one would meet the Phos requirements for Ford Powerstrokes...the other one won't. When you consider the average weekend diesel DIY'er at a Walmart whose knowledge of oil is limited, and both bottles are dark blue, both say Rotella and both say T-6 are they going to pay enough attention to know the difference?

The oil itself I have no issue with. The Delo CK-4 I have switched to is the same kind of low Phos mixed fleet oil and I'm not worried it's bad. Mobil and others seem to have gone the same route. I just think for the average schmo the branding may be a bit confusing.

I wonder if this will be similar to the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30. I am currently using that in my GTDI F150.

I understand your point, but these aren't "two oils" any more than a PYB 5w-20 is a different oil than the PYB 10w-40 you find on the shelf. You have to pay attentions to specifications. In the PYB case, the former is SN/GF-5 and will have low phosphorus by nature of its specifications. The 10w-40 may or may not have low phosphorus.

The same goes with this. Because of the E6 specification (not to mention the loophole closing around CK-4/SN in 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 HDEOs), the 5w-30 Rotella will be low phosphorus, and the other stuff, like the 15w-40, may or may not have low phosphorus (we here know it doesn't, but the average schmo won't).

And you're right, the average schmo could be a bit confused, but that's nothing new with oil specifications. As always, it's best to follow the OEM recommendations, and only go off that when you actually understand what you're doing with the specifications.

Nothing on the 5w-30 T6 bottle is misleading, of course, and the same goes for the data sheets. The builder approvals are all there, and the API and ACEA specs are listed, not to mention the SAE grade.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: cb_13
I wonder if this will be similar to the Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30. I am currently using that in my GTDI F150.

Similar in what way?

As in basically the same thing. The Euro L 5w30 meets ACEA C3 and API SN. Although it is primarily advertised as a diesel oil it is dual rated.

I don’t see any of the API diesel specs on the Euro L. So I’m guessing it doesn’t meet them and this Rotella product will be significantly different.

Last edited:
No, as you noted from the specs, they are, indeed, different. The Rotella will have a SA of around 1.0, whereas the C3 lube will be lower than that. Phosphorus levels will be in the same neck of the woods and HTHS will be much the same, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Similar in what way?

As in basically the same thing. The Euro L 5w30 meets ACEA C3 and API SN. Although it is primarily advertised as a diesel oil it is dual rated.

I don’t see any of the API diesel specs on the Euro L. So I’m guessing it doesn’t meet them and this Rotella product will be significantly different.

I think the "L" is for Low SAPS, so I'd guess the Euro will be more like M1 5W30 ESP than T6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back