2007 Mazda 3: 5 Speed AT Fluid...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter’s Mazda 3 was new to us a couple years ago... I think I had my Indy mechanic change the ATF but can’t recall and th fluid on dip stick is dirty

Going to drain and refill a few times over the course of the next few months as that’s what I do with the Hondas

Not sure if anyone has experience with this but I have some questions:

1. The drain/refill method vs the flush I’ve seen on YouTube’s ...?

2. There’s a filter on this trans but I have to remove pan and mess around with removal of a liquid gasket. Strongly recommended?

3. This trans calls for M-V fluid. I’ve seen only Redline and Amsoil showing this spec... I’ve seen folks using Valvoline with is a Mercon-V.... different than M-V. I’d rather keep costs reasonable but not at the expense of messing up the trans

4. Every YouTube I’ve seen shows the drain plug sticking out the back of the pan requiring a 19mm socket. The pan on this car has a recessed plug on the bottom of the pan requiring a hex wrench... might this be a replacement pan, in which case, the gasket was probably changed, or did Mazda use these pans interchangeably?

I know that a number of posts are in here regarding the fluid but they are all older and I’m looking for some more current info if available

Thank you in advance

Originally Posted By: Finz

2. There’s a filter on this trans

Leave the filter alone - -it only filters down to around 100 microns anyway.

1) Disconnect cooler line,
2) idle in neutral til you get bubbles,
3) refill.

Repeat every 25,000-30,000 miles

I was wrong then. I guess that’s one thing that isn’t interchangeable between Mazda and Ford. Just use Castrol or Valvoline Import MV to be safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
M-V is Mercon V. Castrol, Valvoline, or store brand Mercon V ATF will be fine.

NO, M-V IS NOT Mercon V.

However, I have been using since 2009, Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF in the 2006 Mazda3i in my signature. Both the 3i & 3S/4spd & 5spd auto require the same ATF(M-V). I change the ATF frequently and the Castrol IMV is all I have used to date.

My daughter has a 2007 with the 5 speed AT as well. I could not even get the correct AT fluid from the dealer. I did alot of research and came up with using Idemitsu ATF Type M. This is made specifically for Mazda vehicles. I did three drain and fills over about a months time. I did not clean the filter and wish that I did. The fluid cleaned up considerably over the three drains but not to my satisfaction. Next summer I will probably do another drain and fill and remove the pan and clean that filter.

Thanks all.... I ended up searching deep in Valvoline’s Maxlife web site and there was a more comprehensive chart showing compatibility... M-V was listed.

4 quarts out and it was dark and dirty. Can’t believe I hadn’t gotten to it sooner but there you go.

A few more drain/refills and then, nest spring, I too will drop the pan and do a proper job of it.

Again, thanks for the feedback

How long after a drain/refill should I wait it all to mix and do another dose? Have about 100 miles in so far

No need to drop the pan. If you want a more complete and thorough transmission flush, simply do the drain and fill 3-4x

The amount of driving needed between the 3-4x is anywhere from around the block to a few thousand miles. But if you did it once a week for a month, that will probably do the job.

However, a single drain and fill with the drain plug is normally sufficient for 30-60k
smile.gif

ATF Fluid change
IDEMITSU atf type M check Ebay about $60 for 10 quarts shipped.

Tools Needed
1- Drain pan / 1 gal jug / container
1- Ratchet
1- 10 MM Socket
1- 8mm Hex Socket
1- 3/4 Socket
1 - Pliers (not shown )
1- 4 to 6 feet of clear 3/8th
I.D. Hose

Remove splash guard under car.
There will be 7- 10 MM BOLTS

Locate the drain plug on the transmission pan.
This is on the drivers side.

Remove trans pan drain plug,careful not to loose the metal washer as you remove the bolt.
you'll use a 8MM HEX KEY/socket to remove the bolt. Next drain about 3.4qts old fluid from the pan. Replace drain plug and washer.

Add 3.4qts new fluid via transmission dipstick. Do it very slowly so it doesn't spill.

Next,Disconnect outflow hose of stock transmission cooler The Trans cooler is the small tuna-can looking thing under your car in front of the transmission. It has 2 hoses coming out of it

The connector is the one next to the drivers side of the car .Disconnect the hose and attach a clear hose (3/8th
I.D. Hose) to the metal connector and put the other end into a gallon jug.

Turn on your car, keep e-brake on, push on brake pedal, and put the car into drive/reverse/neutral/park. This will pump trans fluid through your system and out into the jug.. Turn Off car motor and check the jug to see if you have about 3 qts---A gallon jug should be 3/4 full (3qts),
Add 3 more quarts of new fluid via transmission dipstick.

Repeat a 3rd or 4th time- until the fluid being pumped into your gallon jug is fresh, new, red transmission fluid. This means you've pumped out most if not all of the old fluid.

Re-connect your transmission cooler hose, take the car for a drive, and check your transmission fluid level while car is running. Add more ATF if necessary Make sure you cycle through all your gears, including neutral and reverse.

Be sure to recycle your Trans fluid at a Auto parts store like Autozone or Advance. Every city also has a Chemical waste dump area.

addl info

http://www.flex-innovations.com/atx_flush.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back