"But I have 7 cars"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to whittle down my oil stash by giving it away.

I put out an ad on fb marketplace that basically read " unemployed? Under-employed? Single parent? if you're putting off changing your oil because of the holidays, I probably have the right oil for you."

Needless to say, the response was significant.

Most of them didn't read the post, and only replied because they saw free oil, as evidenced by my asking if they were one of those things, and them admitting they were not.

BUT I guess there's always one. Single parent with a recent baby. She asks if I have any oil left.

"I do. If you let me know what you drive, I can let you know if I had a suitable oil."

"I need 5 jugs of 5w-30, and 2 5w-20."

"Well let me know which car you'd most like to service, I have a limited quantity, so everybody gets 1 oil change."

"But I have 7 cars. What good is free oil for just one?"

*shakes head*

No good deed as they say.

Overall, I haven't been disappointed.

One person was only interested if he could have the Ultra for his Honda (you could see it in the photo) who had some choice words for me because I was only willing to give him an oil that met the requirements for a 2002 civic, and this lady.

Everyone who didn't read it, as far as I can tell, were honest that they could afford oil and had just hoped for some free stuff. I got 5 offers from people interested in a price for the entire stash.

The people that had read it tended to message me with their situations (unprovoked) and were hoping it was really free.

It's been a day, and I've been able to give away 35 quarts to very thankful people. 2 of them are coming by this weekend because they don't have the tools/knowledge to change the oil themselves.

Nice of you to help out others. Unfortunately you're going to run into all kinds of people that don't properly read your request.

God bless the internet!

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you have 7 cars you can afford oil changes.

If I had 7 cars, I couldn't afford oil changes. I couldn't afford gas. I couldn't afford food. I couldn't afford my mortgage.
grin.gif

Are there other things you are hoarding that you need to get rid of? Let it go!

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

If I had 7 cars, I couldn't afford oil changes. I couldn't afford gas. I couldn't afford food. I couldn't afford my mortgage.
grin.gif

That was my thought, but around here people do have 3-5 cars.

1 that runs, one that might run, and 3 that are cars that they either couldn't sell, or swear they'll have up and running one day. 800 saw feet of living space in their trailer, and 15,000 sq feet of car parts in the yard.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Are there other things you are hoarding that you need to get rid of? Let it go!

I have an embarrassingly large collection of oil paintings and sterling silver tidbits.

Need a 6ft x 4.75ft still life of dahlias? I've got a few that would just SHINE in your parlor.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

grin.gif

That was my thought, but around here people do have 3-5 cars.

1 that runs, one that might run, and 3 that are cars that they either couldn't sell, or swear they'll have up and running one day. 800 saw feet of living space in their trailer, and 15,000 sq feet of car parts in the yard.

you just described me. But I wouldnt ask for free oil.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
First rule of CL - never post anything for free.

Nah, I used FB's marketplace to avoid one person using multiple emails to try and game me.

I did cross-post on Craigslist, but put a price on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back