It is getting close to this again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
In preparation for this weather, the highway maintenance cleared the bushes and small trees that used to act as a snow barrier. It's going to be very interesting.

"But, this can't happen to me!"

"I have an expensive SUV with AWD!!!"

"I KNOW how to drive in snow!"

We have a similar situation on Hwy 5 in California between Bakersfield and north toward Sacramento. It's fog.

There have been many terrible accidents and they've all been caused by drivers going too fast and following too close.

People say you can hear the collisions they can't see and the only safe move once stopped is to run.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We have a similar situation on Hwy 5 in California between Bakersfield and north toward Sacramento. It's fog.

There have been many terrible accidents and they've all been caused by drivers going too fast and following too close.

People say you can hear the collisions they can't see and the only safe move once stopped is to run.

This video is from Slovenia, EU (guessing by the number plates). I have pleasure to drive there every day. Very disciplined nation.

I almost got involved in something like this driving from Detroit to NH...an ice storm passed over me as I stayed overnight with a friend in MI. The roads were pretty darned slick as I drove into Canada, but manageable.
Fast forward to upstate NY later in the day and I was catching back up to the storm. Things got worse and worse on 90 until there was a long line of cars in the somewhat clear right lane and very few people in a pretty brutal left lane. The right lane kept going slower and slower until I just couldn't take it anymore and moved over to try to navigate the treacherous left at maybe 15-25mph. Not two minutes passed after that when I saw the brakelights start twinkling on way ahead to the right and making their way back to me...not long after the too closely packed cars started hitting each other, bump bump bump bump bump.
Kind of weird that my impatience to drive faster saved me and I realized how lucky I was and got off at the next exit with hotels, Utica NY. Stayed warm and dry in the Red Roof Inn while chowing down on BK and watching TV to pass the time.

Speaking of people in big AWD SUVs being too confident, I remember driving to the local dump after a big storm and being treated to the sight of a wildly out of control Explorer heading towards me at about 50mph. The guy hit a rough patch of road and his ride started pitching wildly from front to back, the he somehow came to a stop about a foot from a tree on the shoulder...I slowed down to see if he was OK, and he jumped out with this look of incredible disbelief on his face. Not fear, not joy, just disbelief that he couldn't drive his Explorer as fast as he wanted in horrible conditions. Also makes me think of my wife's story of being passed in a no passing zone by a nut in a 4x4 pickup during a monster storm only to have the guy wipe out when he tried to get back into their lane. She slowed down to roll her window down and wave at him, claimed she would have stopped to help him if he looked incapacitated but he was well enough to flip her off.

Seems like people forget how to drive when anything abnormal weather wise happens, not just snow. Or the holidays, nobody can drive during the holidays! Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, there were cars parked in the middle of the street blocking the road because the parking lot at Albertsons was full so they just went for the next best thing! Ha

This will be my first winter DD'ing a AWD vehicle. Will be interesting to see how it does!

I'm equipped with snow tires.

Used to have to commute up and down 81 every day to and from work. There wasn't a good alternate route that wouldn't take me through some very bad parts of the city. Now, if it gets bad weather, I can just take US11 home. I really do not like driving on limited access highways during snow events. Or any bad weather, really.

I remember driving through Lodi and hitting fog that you would nearly bounce off....scary to go from visibility to no visibility.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
People have told me before I'm from Wisconsin/Minnesota/New York.. I know how to drive in the snow. Whatever

Lots of people polishing their tires in anticipation of a really good slide. Sometimes the best you can do is steer!

Originally Posted By: Astro14

This one drives me nuts. I hate people who think their snow-driving experience and 'knowledge' can somehow bend or even break the laws of science and physics.

No, you can't drive your Mustang on summer tires during a snowstorm and get around 'just fine'. Your mad snow-driving skillz have no affect on cold wet hard rubber trying to grip frozen snow-covered asphalt. Give your ego a rest and buy some snow tires, dummy.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Astro14

This one drives me nuts. I hate people who think their snow-driving experience and 'knowledge' can somehow bend or even break the laws of science and physics.

No, you can't drive your Mustang on summer tires during a snowstorm and get around 'just fine'. Your mad snow-driving skillz have no affect on cold wet hard rubber trying to grip frozen snow-covered asphalt. Give your ego a rest and buy some snow tires, dummy.

Agreed with summer tires but an experienced driver with all-seasons manages fine in whatever vehicle. They understand to leave a ton of distance, never hit the brakes or steering wheel just calmly say hold my beer as they make minimal movements and braking when running into what is in video.

My wife grew up with auction $500 cars with bad all-seasons and is an amazing winter driver. I think the crutch of studded snow tires and 4wd truck tires hampered my ability to learn to drive in bad conditions.

Funny this was posted today... Purchased a set of blizzak dmv2 on alloys from DTD.

$390 in rebates.

Snow doesnt bother me, slush doesnt bother me..

Black ice.. and glare ice at intersections or on hills.. bothers me.

Its not about a good or bad driver.. its about reducing the stress level of driving in bad weather.

You should watch the Seattle news when ¼ inch of snow hits the streets. The old folks say this is the worst blizzard I’ve ever seen, the young folks compete with who can smash up their car the worst. The buses and city street dept trucks slide every which but loose and the light rail comes to a halt forcing passengers out into the fury. The only happy people are the school kids because all classes are cancelled, all because of a measly ¼ inch of snow.

Now imagine when 18 inches falls. I had to drive 25 miles home after the swing shift, pulling into the driveway about 01:30 or so. My trusty Montero Sport made it dodging idiots all the way. Of course I don’t drive 55 when it snows.

Luckily no snow or ice down here. Its big news if we get 1mm of ice on car windshields overnight.

I love cold weather but no way I'd deal with winter driving, shoveling snow, installing winter tires, etc...

This is the first year with a AWD vehicle. I was telling the wife just because we have AWD now you are NOT invincible.
I am anxious to see how the Intelligent 4 wheel drive works in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back