Second oil change UOA 2018 STI Castrol edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: John_Dude
Sealants are silicone, not silicon. "Silicones, also known as polysiloxanes, are polymers that include any inert, synthetic compound made up of repeating units of siloxane, which is a chain of alternating silicon atoms and oxygen atoms, frequently combined with carbon and/or hydrogen. "

They both look the same to an ICP.
Did you copy that from somewhere on the Internet?

Did I copy that from the internet lol. I seen that on bitog before actually. Where did you get your information on UOA's if not from the internet? I post my UOA's to learn but a lot of people pick apart some things that are minor. Most also seem to think they know more than blackstone. I am pretty new to reading UOA's so I am open to learn what I can.

I'm not sure what you are getting at exactly, the comment wasn't in response to you. Although the post contained correct information it doesn't directly apply to an elemental analysis that's part of a UOA.

It's not a minor point. The plasma in an ICP (or even an AA machine, which I used in college) will decompose nearly any chemical compound and you have no way to trace it back to any specific source. It's like hammering a vase into sand, where you can say it was "glass" but you have no idea what it looked like before it was crushed. That's why if you wish to trace something in this type of test the sources have to be tagged, generally with radioactive isotopes. Otherwise you don't know where the (silicon in this instance) is coming from.

The exception is when you only have one source, but here you have more than one.

Originally Posted By: John_Dude
Sealants are silicone, not silicon. "Silicones, also known as polysiloxanes, are polymers that include any inert, synthetic compound made up of repeating units of siloxane, which is a chain of alternating silicon atoms and oxygen atoms, frequently combined with carbon and/or hydrogen. "

They both look the same to an ICP.
Did you copy that from somewhere on the Internet?

Did I copy that from the internet lol. I seen that on bitog before actually. Where did you get your information on UOA's if not from the internet? I post my UOA's to learn but a lot of people pick apart some things that are minor. Most also seem to think they know more than blackstone. I am pretty new to reading UOA's so I am open to learn what I can.

I'm not sure what you are getting at exactly, the comment wasn't in response to you. Although the post contained correct information it doesn't directly apply to an elemental analysis that's part of a UOA.

It's not a minor point. The plasma in an ICP (or even an AA machine, which I used in college) will decompose nearly any chemical compound and you have no way to trace it back to any specific source. It's like hammering a vase into sand, where you can say it was "glass" but you have no idea what it looked like before it was crushed. That's why if you wish to trace something in this type of test the sources have to be tagged, generally with radioactive isotopes. Otherwise you don't know where the (silicon in this instance) is coming from.

The exception is when you only have one source, but here you have more than one.

We do not know fur sure but the link I listed says......
Silicone-based gasket sealers (red, blue, or clear) used in engine assembly and repair, show up as high silicon in an oil sample. Any oil sample taken from a new, rebuilt, or repaired engine typically reads high in silicon. Oil from some types of new engines may contain as much as 400 ppm silicon. You can ignore the high silicon in these cases since it is harmless and will wash away by the third or fourth oil in the engine.

As shown in the UOA my silicon is decreasing.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/the-silicon-bugaboo.php
Hope this clears some things up.

Yes. User John_Dude was making the argument that it could not have been caused by the sealant since that was silicone, not silicon. I pointed out that any source of the element silicon is going to look the same to an ICP regardless of the source.

Sand isn't "silicon" either, it is silicon dioxide. Both it and silicone elastomers are decomposed in the ICP plasma.

Silicone-based gasket sealers (red, blue, or clear) used in engine assembly and repair, show up as high silicon in an oil sample. Any oil sample taken from a new, rebuilt, or repaired engine typically reads high in silicon. Oil from some types of new engines may contain as much as 400 ppm silicon. You can ignore the high silicon in these cases since it is harmless and will wash away by the third or fourth oil in the engine.

Yes I agree and I have been agreeing in the posts I've made.

Yes I agree and I have been agreeing in the posts I've made.

Ok thanks. I justed want to make sure I am interpreting the UOA correctly and can only go by what I get from blackstone and their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back