FIlthy Work Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a company that operates out of an old warehouse that hasn't been updated in quite some time. Our other offices have professional cleaners that come once a week. For whatever reason, our office has opted out of this service, even after bringing it up to management several times.

This place is a literal disaster. It gives me anxiety just from how filthy it is. I also get sick every few weeks from god knows what bacteria is lying around there. There are also missing ceiling tiles, blown out lights that have hot wires hanging down, filthy carpets, dead mice, you name it. The sink sometimes has dishes that don't get washed for weeks at a time. The pay is good and I love my job & co-workers, but this is getting to be ridiculous.

Anyone else ever work someplace like this?

I'm not filing a complaint, just curious if anyone has ever worked in an office environment like this. We sometimes have outside executive staff work here for a day, as well as our other employees from different offices and I can tell they are a little disgusted by it.

How many people work there?

I work at a remote site a few days a week that isn't as bad as you describe, but it is ignored by maintenance and cleaners, so things could get out of hand if we let it. About 10 of us routinely work out of that site, so we just take it upon ourselves to make sure things are kept up and maintained. Works well. Maybe you and your coworkers could take things into your own hands if at all feasible?

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
How many people work there?

I work at a remote site a few days a week that isn't as bad as you describe, but it is ignored by maintenance and cleaners, so things could get out of hand if we let it. About 10 of us routinely work out of that site, so we just take it upon ourselves to make sure things are kept up and maintained. Works well. Maybe you and your coworkers could take things into your own hands if at all feasible?

This has been tried numerous times. It's at the point where someone makes a sandwich and leaves dirty knives in the kitchen area lying around from adding mayo, etc. because they either didn't take the knife with them or put it in the sink.

If internal policing cannot be implemented and is affecting your health: LEAVE!

I leaved a place where i stayed for 7 years: best thing for my health:
-the same with old dirty carpet, filthy air,.....

You think they will cover you in 10 years when you will start having major health problems?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
https://www.osha.gov/workers/file_complaint.html

And no, you cannot lose your job for filing a complaint against your employer.

LOL you wouldn't want to lay a bunch of hard earned money on that bet.

This. You won't lose your job directly for that reason, but they will find a way to get rid of you, I've seen it many times.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
This. You won't lose your job directly for that reason, but they will find a way to get rid of you, I've seen it many times.

Or, if the remote operation is only marginally profitable, or a loss center, they could just cut it out. Everyone loses their jobs then. Seen that too when it became just too expensive to fix everything up to current OSHA/health and habitation standards.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
https://www.osha.gov/workers/file_complaint.html

And no, you cannot lose your job for filing a complaint against your employer.

LOL you wouldn't want to lay a bunch of hard earned money on that bet.

Exactly. They won't fire you but they will make sure you want to quit.

Yeah, filing a complaint is a terrible idea. I saw it happen at a manufacturing gig I had: this one guy got something in his eye, and called OSHA because the eyewash station didn't work. Unfortunately all of their machines weren't up to code and the company lost like 50k if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Yeah, filing a complaint is a terrible idea. I saw it happen at a manufacturing gig I had: this one guy got something in his eye, and called OSHA because the eyewash station didn't work. Unfortunately all of their machines weren't up to code and the company lost like 50k if I remember correctly.

why was it a terrible idea if they brought the working conditions up to standard?

You will lose your job eventually but think how much good it will bring to those who remain.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high

why was it a terrible idea if they brought the working conditions up to standard?

It's not worth losing a job over... nor do I want the company to get fined. Just looking for tips on how to improve the situation, no need for government intervention or fines.

It's obvious the employer doesn't mind the filthy conditions so you guys need to start cleaning after yourselves. Office environments will have groups of people who will clean the fridge/counters, etc. after it becomes disgusting.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
It's obvious the employer doesn't mind the filthy conditions so you guys need to start cleaning after yourselves. Office environments will have groups of people who will clean the fridge/counters, etc. after it becomes disgusting.

That is a million times easier said than done.

File a complaint with OSHA. Your name will not be revealed. They may not inspect but send a letter. But the letter will mention a possible inspection which should get their attention.

I wrote a letter to OSHA about Sears where they had an unsecured tank of helium. The letter went to Sears Corp. Then down to local. They fixed it immediately. My name was never in a letter and OSHA sent me copies of all their letters to Sears and replies. Sears had to post the letters at the store also for employees to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back