New T6 bottles missing API SM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, it comes down to what it says on the actual, in my hand, bottle. If the SM/SN is missing, it ain't "bonafide" for my gas engine!

If it still has something like E7, E9, or E6 in there on its own or with the other two, one shouldn't be too worried. Or, the CK-4 isn't a bad thing on its own, either. As long as it's not something specific for two stroke diesels, or some marine lube with a TBN off the charts, it's still well within the realm of suitability.

Look at something like Castrol Elixion 5w-30 versus Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30. Both are low phosphorus E6 lubricants, with the former being CJ-4 and the latter being CK-4/SN. Shell happens to be pushing the product as suitable for gassers. Castrol is treating it as much more of a niche lube, for whatever reason. The other competitors have their E6 lubricants as SN or SM, as the case may be. What makes Castrol Elixion 5w-30 unsuitable for gasoline engine use when Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 is suitable? They both have the same TBN, the same SA, and same phosphorus content, and the viscometrics are probably as close as you're going to find.

I'm not saying people should go grab whatever lube they see on the shelf with blinders and dump it in their crankcases. One can, however make an informed decision. These ordinary HDEOs didn't become decertified for gasoline engines because of some massive reformulation that made them unsuitable. The OEMs didn't confiscate all our gasoline vehicles and replace them with something so different we need new lubes altogether. A regulatory loophole was closed for certain grades, and certain oil companies are handling it differently than other oil companies.

Note that most people using HDEOs in gassers already were technically out of spec before. I can't think of many vehicles out there that called for a 5w-40 in SM or SN (certain Subaru examples, perhaps another couple Asian varieties). I can't think of any that called for 15w-40 in SM or SN. Yet, people used them.

Never worried about API stuff. If it's on the Allison list (yes) and it's rated JASO MA (gasoline engine rated in Japan), then I'm good to go. Let API do their thing and I'll just read a bit deeper
laugh.gif

I’m running Rotella T6 in my V8 2005 Q45. It has the VK45DE engine putting out 340hp. This is a high winding V8 since my redline is 6600. I’m known to visit that end of the tach probably once a day or so... I have 119,000 miles now with original everything except plugs, and filters and alternator.. anyways, I read on the Shell site that the T6 is suitable for my vehicle and is “easy” on emission equipment. However, my car has duel pre-cats on each side built into manifold and I’m told it’s a awkward design and an expensive one at that.. There is quite a bit out on the internet about these Q45’s (Nissan Cima JDM) is that the ceramic pre-cats can collapse and put ceramic dust into the motor which in turn destroys it. I was hoping the T6 would make life easier for my cats. What parts of motor oil do I need to check levels? Phosphorus? Ash? I’m not sure.... basically am I doing my car a disservice using Rotella T6?

Hi KDonkey, good question. Although Rotella works well with gasoline engines, and has historically been a “universal” oil suitable for fleets that had gasoline and diesel vehicles, this type use is not recommended now except for example older vehicles and farm equipment who don’t have to worry about the catalytic converter. Since about 2000 year model, specifications for gasoline auto engines have restricted phosphorus to 800 ppm to help protect the catalytic converters, since phosphorus may shorten the life of the catalyst as some oil is burned in the exhaust. (Rotella multi-grade products have approx. 1100 ppm phos.)

A couple years ago, gasoline engine manufacturers requested the waiver that allowed diesel oils to also be licensed with gasoline credentials, while having a phosphorous content of >0.08 wt. % (800ppm), be eliminated (this waiver was originally put in place about 20 years ago.). The industry came to an agreement that with the introduction of CK-4 and FA-4, the waiver would be eliminated for XW-30 and XW-20 grades. Although, the spirit of the request was to eliminate the waiver for all viscosity grades.

Prior to CK-4 and FA-4, the waiver existed that allowed claiming an API “S” categories without meeting the chemical requirements of the category; specifically, the maximum phosphorous content of 0.08 wt. % (800ppm), as long as the oil was designed primarily as a diesel oil and listed the API “C” category in the API donut first. With the introduction of the API CK-4 and FA-4 categories, they waiver only applies to XW-40 grade oils. With the introduction of the API CK-4 and FA-4 categories, XW-30 and XW-20 grades no longer qualify for the waiver. This mean a XW-30 or XW-20 oil must meet the performance and chemical requirements of API SN in order to licenses as API SN. Specifically the oil must have a phosphorous content of
So, lot of information there. Notable is that acceptable gasoline engine oils recommended prior to about Model year 2000 had about the same amount of phosphorus as in is Rotella now. Let us know if you need more information.

- The Shell Rotella Team

Hi O5Q45, we do not recommend Rotella T6 5W-40 as the phosphorus for this product is quite higher than recommended for catalytic converter equipped engines. We do have a new Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 product that will meet these requirements. - The Shell Rotella Team

The most recent VOA of Rotella T6 CK-4 5w40 showed a Phosphorus level of 1024
Other VOA's GC 0w40 showed 774 and Castrol GTX 5w30 at 785, they come in just under the limit.

Are those extra 250ppm of Phosphorus going to make a huge difference to the cat?

Is there anything else in the Rotella that is going to be detrimental to gasoline application?

As far as I can tell it hasn't changed enough to be considered any worse or different than the CJ-4.

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi O5Q45, we do not recommend Rotella T6 5W-40 as the phosphorus for this product is quite higher than recommended for catalytic converter equipped engines. We do have a new Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 product that will meet these requirements. - The Shell Rotella Team

Yeah? Where is it? No one has seen it.

To ChrisGuerrero: just as a follow-up to your post. Even though it is not rated S for gasoline engines, it seems like your Shell Rotella 5w-40 would still be acceptable for older flat tappet engines without catalysts since it still would have over 1000 ppm of zinc and phosphorous. Do I understand that correctly? Thanks

Hi @Building3, thanks for reaching out. Yes, Rotella T6 5W-40 is still suitable for older gasoline engines with flat tappets without catalytic converters.

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi @Building3, thanks for reaching out. Yes, Rotella T6 5W-40 is still suitable for older gasoline engines with flat tappets without catalytic converters.

Perfect
smile.gif

Works well in old tractors too
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back