Opinions on this mix/blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to come up with a middleish weight 30 weight and have a 5qt jug of M1 0w-40 FS (GTL version).

I'm thinking about buying 3 quarts of PPPP 0w-20 (GTL version D1G1 which is high calcium no mag like M1).

3 quarts of each making a 6 qt blend, what's your thoughts? Both are GTL, both have high calcium, no mag, etc.

IMO it's not good to mix chemistries of oils. Not because impending harm will come to your engine but you might not get the same performance characteristics out of the blend that you would with one oil. You would be better off looking at the data sheets to find the middle weight in an oil and go with that only.

From some of the mixes I've seen around here, yours actually makes sense with similar chemistry. Such blending in New England weather poses less risk in the spring-fall since you aren't worried so much on the oil mix works at the low viscosity end of the spectrum.

If the car weren't anything special I'd be mixing those same oils if I wanted to use up the M1. Ideally, an OCI less than what either oil can normally do.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
...just looking to use the M1 rather than throw it out.

What person who isn't clinically insane throws away an item of great value?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
What engine would this being going in and what's it rated for now?

LGX (in trucks) LGZ (in cars) 3.6 calls for 5w-30 normally, probably fine to run straight 0w-40 m1 in it, just not sure how much it would affect mileage..

Originally Posted By: Linctex

What person who isn't clinically insane throws away an item of great value?

Yeah, I wouldn't throw it out, it'd get used in something
smile.gif

You need 6 quarts ~ use the whole jug and one quart ... quarts are expensive unless grabbed on clearance …
That is not a thicker 40 to start with … I run it in our Cruze now …

Originally Posted By: StevieC
What engine would this being going in and what's it rated for now?

LGX (in trucks) LGZ (in cars) 3.6 calls for 5w-30 normally, probably fine to run straight 0w-40 m1 in it, just not sure how much it would affect mileage..

Run it in the summer as it is, you will be fine.
smile.gif

Just sub 1 qt out of your sump with the 40 in spring through fall

Everytime ive done a dumbbell blend its never been good.

evertime ive added a 40 to a 30 its been all gravy, Davey!

throw out euro 40 ? Nuts! Throw out the junk ILSAC GF

People do "franken-brews" all the time - I have NEVER heard of a single negative outcome.

Here you go

http://papers.sae.org/932831/

I personally think its' likely that most of us don't push the extremes of the "W" rating that we hear of relatively few.

The linked SAE papers, the oils gelled at comparatively "normal" temperatures due to VII/PPD interaction between the factory fill residual and the service fill.

I wouldn’t have the first thought about using it in anything ‘round here. Might cut the OCI interval a little short tho...

Someone here once opined that if your heart meds clash, you die. If your oil add packs clash, you wind up with 10 more ppm Fe in your UOA...

Blend on brother, blend on!

Wouldn't it make sense to use it up in an oil change soon as it's a 0w? Why wait until summer to do the 0w-40 run?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
People do "franken-brews" all the time - I have NEVER heard of a single negative outcome.

Here you go

http://papers.sae.org/932831/

I personally think its' likely that most of us don't push the extremes of the "W" rating that we hear of relatively few.

The linked SAE papers, the oils gelled at comparatively "normal" temperatures due to VII/PPD interaction between the factory fill residual and the service fill.

Hi Shannow,

Although i agree the ASTM miscibility standard is rather limited, only using six reference motor oils, i have some concerns regarding this topic...

Q. Citing that SAE paper, wouldn't "cloud point base oils" refer to biodiesel and other "eco friendly" bio oils?

Also, the paper was published almost 25 years ago (1993). Do we know of any, more contemporary research?

Just curious.

wemay,
there's always a "NEVER" statement that gets raised in these threads...that's simply not the case.

In the ask Pennzoil questions, they say that they will mix, but chemistry can be unpredictable, BobbyDavro has explained that the cold end properties outside same brand could be problematic, that's a paper that shows that it CAN be problematic, and not at temperatures that are extremely cold.

The paper was expressly residual from factory fill, and service fill, not biodiesel.

I haven't found any "fresh" papers on the topic, but would like some advice on how "Fresh" data should be when being used to temper "NEVER" and not possible statements.

Like trying to find papers on pumpability at 100F...you are never going to find them. No-one is going to research stuff that hasn't caused an issue.

Yes, i understand the word "Never" being used as a measure of success can be an issue.

You'll never be able to notice the difference out of the background noise, especially with winter fuel coming or already here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back