DT certs . have you had to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought them in the past and never used them. stop buying them the last couple of sets of tires. from my understanding if one were to claim on it they had to pay for new mounting and balance and a new cert. this sound correct?

So what has your experience with then certs been. has buying them paid off for you?

Have purchased many … finally thought they should replace a clear case road hazard tire a few months back and a big resounding NO from Dumbstruck Tire … I bought the replacement tire with the 5th tire still in the back of CUV …

Adios DT …

Last edited:
Quote:
... from my understanding if one were to claim on it they had to pay for new mounting and balance and a new cert. this sound correct?

Incorrect. With the cert you get a new tire and pay for a 'new' cert on the new tire (if you choose) and the tire disposal fee. You do not pay for mounting and balancing. Same as getting a punctured tire in a repairable area fixed at DT, there's no charge for that no matter where the tire was purchased. That includes removing the tire from the wheel, RMA procedure repair, mounting and balancing.

Normally I do not purchase the certs because 'ime' DT is excellent about honoring roadhazard replacement as part of the prorated tire treadwear warranty. I've even had them do it that on two OE tires. Got a new tire at an adjusted/prorated price. With the prorated replacment one does pay for mounting and balancing of the tire.

I did purchase the certs on a current set of RT43s that I needed to purchase outside of a promotional period. I included them as part of the negotiation on the total price. I used a cert on one tire that got an industrial type staple in the sidewall. The procedure was as described.

Yup. Never a problem with DT or road hazard repair. If it in the last block from either side wall or on the sidewall otself, the replace. Theres evena sign in the building showing you a picture of it.

I buy the certs on expensive, long-tread-warranty all-season tires, and I've used them a couple of times. In my experiences with DT, I've never had a quibble from them about replacement or the associated mounting expenses. By the written terms of the certs' agreement, the policy only lasts for 3 years, but that's not how the DTs in my area handle them; I've never had an issue getting a replacement on a certed tire that was more than 3 years old. Spending $800+ on a set of tires that may go 5-7 years makes a $65 insurance policy seem OK to me. But I may get better service than most because, with 4 vehicles, all with snow tires and wheels, and all of which get brought in for religious rotations, I'm a pretty regular face in our closest DT

Yes; I buy them and have had to use them on some 18" and 20" tires which are not cheap. They have paid for themselves many times over.

I've bought certificates from DT on two occasions but didn't have to use them in either case over the life of the certificates. I can say that a road hazard type incident happens to me about once a decade, so I don't find them particularly beneficial. In early 2017, I had a nail in the sidewall shoulder of a tire and the certificate had expired 8 months earlier. That's been my experience...if you don't normally have issues of these types or your tires aren't expensive to replace, I think I'd forego the certificates. YMMV.

In my case, the certificates cost more than 50% of a new tire and I didn't use them over the two 3 year periods the certs were good for. On that count, I didn't find them particularly advantageous...and if the same thing happened again I'd probably just take my chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back